Author Topic: Grateful Dead Legend Jerry Garcia’s Family Pulls Pot Business Out Of California Over Taxes  (Read 499 times)

Offline Hoodat

Grateful Dead Legend Jerry Garcia’s Family Pulls Pot Business Out Of California Over Taxes

Greg Wilson  •  Jan 31, 2023

Grateful Dead legend Jerry Garcia’s relatives are truckin’ out of California, apparently because the Golden State’s high taxes and anti-business climate are just too harsh on the family’s marijuana business.

Garcia Hand Picked, which the late guitar wizard’s family started in 2020, told SFGate.com the company just can’t make a go of it in the Golden State. An industry expert blamed high taxes, competition from the black market, and soaring crime for the decision to pull out of California.

“We’re taking a pause in California,” a spokesperson for Garcia Hand Picked parent company Holistic Industries said. “We want to ensure California consumers have the highest quality flower for the long term, so we are choosing a new local partner for cultivation, production, sales and distribution of Garcia Hand Picked in CA.”  .  .  .

https://www.dailywire.com/news/grateful-dead-legend-jerry-garcias-family-pulls-pot-business-out-of-california-over-taxes

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline MajorClay

Article never said to where they were moving.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Grateful Dead Legend Jerry Garcia’s Family Pulls Pot Business Out Of California Over Taxes

I am guessing this is one corporation that won't be moving to Texas.   :silly:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 06:42:26 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I guess The Man is harshing their buzz.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Hoodat

The money quote:

California, which has a 15% sales tax on marijuana, has reaped over $4 billion in tax revenue since legalizing pot. It also collects money from retail licenses, which can cost $100,000 annually, taxes on growers, and local taxes which are in addition to the state levies. But legal cannabis companies complain that the state doesn’t do enough to crack down on the black market, allowing unfair competition to flourish.

The whole argument about legalizing drugs is that it would eliminate the illegal black market while creating a windfall for government.  Yet this argument ignores basic human nature.  Why would your wildcat grower in Humboldt county start giving a cut to the State of California?  Of course black market growers and sellers are causing unfair competition for legal growers.  Because they don't have government stealing $4 billion of their profits every year.

Liberals pushed this crap.
Liberals are idiots when it comes to economics.
Liberals are in denial regarding human nature.
And now liberals are stuck with it while the rest of society suffers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The money quote:

The whole argument about legalizing drugs is that it would eliminate the illegal black market while creating a windfall for government.  Yet this argument ignores basic human nature.  Why would your wildcat grower in Humboldt county start giving a cut to the State of California?  Of course black market growers and sellers are causing unfair competition for legal growers.  Because they don't have government stealing $4 billion of their profits every year.

Can you imagine the riots in CA if they closed all the dispenceraires?   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Catfish sez:
"Can you imagine the riots in CA if they closed all the dispenseries?"

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The money quote:

In Colorado, the same thing happened, with black market pot keeping about 50% of the market share. The State still made a grundle, but not what they could have if compliance had been as rosy as the picture advocates painted.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis