Author Topic: The American Consumer Is 'Starting to Freak out,' Spending Drops 3 out of Last 4 Months  (Read 469 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The American Consumer Is 'Starting to Freak out,' Spending Drops 3 out of Last 4 Months
By Bob Hoge | 4:45 PM on January 30, 2023

Although President Biden keeps insisting his economic programs are working great, there are plenty of troublesome signs indicating otherwise, including the all-important rate of consumer spending. Simple rule: if people are buying more things, it generally means they feel good about the state of their finances and the economy.

When folks tighten their belts, however, it’s because they either simply don’t have enough money to purchase more than the essentials, or they’re holding on to their wallets because they fear for the future.

Consumer spending is often known as the “engine of the economy”—and it’s out of gas. The Wall Street Journal reports that Americans are “starting to freak out”:

Retail purchases have fallen in three of the past four months. Spending on services, including rent, haircuts and the bulk of bills, was flat in December, after adjusting for inflation, the worst monthly reading in nearly a year. Sales of existing homes in the U.S. fell last year to their lowest level since 2014 as mortgage rates rose. The auto industry posted its worst sales year in more than a decade.

https://twitter.com/EPBResearch/status/1619354628759646208

more
https://redstate.com/bobhoge/2023/01/30/the-american-consumer-is-starting-to-freak-out-spending-drops-3-out-of-4-months-n696277
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

It has in my household.

Online LMAO

You mean you all don’t take his “word as a Biden” that America is doing well?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Dear White House Economic Poindexters,
The retail price of Gasoline is not the only measure of the economic health of the unwashed masses.

Electricity is still more expensive.
Eggs are still more expensive.
Home heating oil is still more expensive.
Interest rates are higher.

Transitory, my ass.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline berdie

Dear White House Economic Poindexters,
The retail price of Gasoline is not the only measure of the economic health of the unwashed masses.

Electricity is still more expensive.
Eggs are still more expensive.
Home heating oil is still more expensive.
Interest rates are higher.

Transitory, my ass.

I honestly don't know how people with kids are surviving.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:33:16 pm by berdie »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Spending Drops?  Inflationary economies have consequences.

Last week, FBC reported that U.S. Credit Card Debt as a percent of worth has reached near record numbers.

Unlike the U.S. Government, there is such a thing as a credit card max for those folks who use cards.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:42:19 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Spending Drops?  Inflationary economies have consequences.

Last week, FBC reported that U.S. Credit Card Debt as a percent of worth has reached near record numbers.

Unlike the U.S. Government, there is such a thing as a credit card max for those folks who use cards.

Yes, and when that limit is hit, it starts to filter over into bankruptcies, and since credit card receivables are often collateralized, the contagion will start to spread to investors who hold those assets.