Author Topic: Rod Dreher -- DeSantis: A Conservative Living In The Real World  (Read 534 times)

Offline Kamaji

Rod Dreher -- DeSantis: A Conservative Living In The Real World
« on: January 30, 2023, 02:19:40 pm »
DeSantis: A Conservative Living In The Real World

Political lesson from Viktor Orban that Florida governor seems to have learned: take the war against left ideological hegemony to the institutions

Rod Dreher
Jan 27, 2023

I wish I had asked Viktor Orban last evening what he thought of Gov. Ron DeSantis. Why? Because DeSantis seems to be putting into practice some of the political lessons Orban has to teach the American Right. Yesterday Orban said that effective conservative governance has to recognize how power actually works today -- meaning, as I took him, that conservatives in political power have to recognize that the Left's hegemony over private-sector institutions, and some public ones (like state universities and public education), is an immense source of power that the Right doesn't really contest. Orban didn't speculate as to why the Right doesn't, but I will: we conservatives are still operating on an outdated classical-liberal model of governance, in which the private sector, as well as parts of the public sector (education), should be left alone. That's certainly defensible, and even admirable, if those institutions are led by good-faith liberals who believe in fairness, freedom of expression, and so forth.

But what happens when the old-school liberals have been replaced by woke Jacobins? The David French Republican way of looking at the world is outdated, and is guaranteed to deliver defeat after defeat -- including when conservatives are in power. As Orban said last night, you have to make up your mind that you don't care if the Left hates you, that you have a responsibility to your voters -- and then take the fight to them at the institutional level, either by fighting over who runs the institutions, or by creating countercultural institutions. What you cannot do is simply sit back and whine about how unfair they are, or keep hoping that if you continue to point out how they have abandoned old-fashioned liberalism, they will turn back. They won't. They really and truly hate us and what we stand for, and nothing is going to change that.

Think about what's happening to poor Jack Philips, the Colorado baker. He was taken to court yet again, and lost yet again yesterday.

https://twitter.com/trscoop/status/1618727586623897600

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/desantis-a-conservative-living-in-the-real-world/

Offline LMAO

Re: Rod Dreher -- DeSantis: A Conservative Living In The Real World
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 02:36:22 pm »
From the article….

The David French Republican way of looking at the world is outdated, and is guaranteed to deliver defeat after defeat -- including when conservatives are in power.

Bears repeating
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 02:36:46 pm »
From the article….

The David French Republican way of looking at the world is outdated, and is guaranteed to deliver defeat after defeat -- including when conservatives are in power.

Bears repeating

:thumbsup:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 03:00:12 pm »
The David French Republican way of looking at the world is outdated, and is guaranteed to deliver defeat after defeat -- including when conservatives are in power

Which is exactly why Americans flocked to Candidate Trump in 2015.  They recognized in this outsider a willingness to fight the established political norms, using everyday language and common sense.  He grew republican voter ranks in 2020 and would be president now if not for the steal.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 03:42:30 pm »
Which is exactly why Americans flocked to Candidate Trump in 2015.  They recognized in this outsider a willingness to fight the established political norms, using everyday language and common sense.  He grew republican voter ranks in 2020 and would be president now if not for the steal.

Last night Levin brought up the point of why is DeSantis the only Republcan governor actively fighting CRT, 1619, and all the other woke brainwashing. 

It is a good thing, that Trump/DeSantis as a tandem has 90% of the GOP electorate locked down as a choice. That isn't an accident either.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 09:08:12 pm »
Last night Levin brought up the point of why is DeSantis the only Republcan governor actively fighting CRT, 1619, and all the other woke brainwashing. 

This isn't close to being true.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 09:18:50 pm »
DeSantis: A Conservative Living In The Real World

Actually, DeSantis is blessed to be governing a state with a majority Republican statehouse and Supreme Court.

The "real world" is outside this bubble.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 09:39:00 pm »
This isn't close to being true.

I'm just quoting Levin.  So please elaborate.  My supposedly very conservative governor here in TX hasn't said shit.  If there are other examples, enlighten us.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:17:28 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 10:11:42 pm »
Somebody's letting their derivative DeSantis Derangement Syndrome show.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 10:17:09 pm »
Somebody's letting their derivative DeSantis Derangement Syndrome show.

I noticed that too.   They are greasing the skids for 2024.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 10:20:07 pm »
I'm just quoting Levin.  So pleae elaborate.  My supposedly very conservative governor here in TX hasn't said shit.  If there are other examples, enlighten us.

Happy to @catfish1957
@Kamaji

The Republican Fight Against ‘Critical Race Theory’ Continues As Arkansas Enacts New Ban
Education Week, Jan 12, 2023

On her first day in office, Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed an executive order banning “indoctrination and critical race theory” in schools—an early sign that Republicans’ attempts to restrict how teachers can discuss race, gender, and politically controversial issues will continue into this year.

[...]

This phrasing echoes language from similar legislation passed in other states over the past two years. It stems from a list of so-called “divisive concepts” originally outlined in a 2020 executive order from then-President Donald Trump, banning certain types of diversity training in federal agencies.

Since January 2021, 42 states have introduced bills or taken other steps that would ban critical race theory or “divisive concepts” from the classroom, or otherwise limit how teachers can discuss racism and sexism, according to an Education Week analysis. Eighteen states—including Arkansas—have imposed those bans and restrictions either through legislation or other avenues.

The Arkansas order comes after similar legislative proposals failed to pass in 2021. While most of these bans have been passed by state legislatures, Sanders now joins a few governors who have enacted prohibitions on critical race theory in the classroom through an executive order.

Govs. Glenn Youngkin of Virginia and Kristi Noem of South Dakota, both Republicans, also ordered their state education departments to review policies and materials for “divisive concepts.”

State education agencies are now being tasked with developing rules for, and enforcing, state laws on classroom speech. In Oklahoma, the education department downgraded the accreditation of two school districts—one of them Tulsa, the state’s largest—after reported violations of HB 1775, a law passed in 2021 that limits how teachers can discuss racism and sexism in class.

In Missouri, lawmakers have introduced three bills that would ban race and sex “stereotyping” and give parents the right to monitor school curricula and other materials. Republicans in the state tried and failed to enact similar legislation in 2022, filing at least 20 related bills last legislative session, none of which passed.

At the same time, another legislator is attempting to strike one of those bans—Oklahoma Rep. Jacob Rosecrants, a Democrat, who introduced a bill that would repeal HB 1775.

More with interactive state-by-state national map:

https://www.edweek.org/policy-politics/the-republican-fight-against-critical-race-theory-continues-as-arkansas-enacts-new-ban/2023/01

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:22:44 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 01:11:51 am »
I am liking what I see in Sanders(the good Sanders. Not that potential disaster Bernie).

I feel bad the way she was treated by leftist when her family tried to go enjoy a meal. But, maybe she’s getting her revenge
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy