Author Topic: Hyping Maximum Daily Temperatures (Part 3)  (Read 140 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hyping Maximum Daily Temperatures (Part 3)
« on: January 30, 2023, 11:51:39 am »
Hyping Maximum Daily Temperatures (Part 3)
13 hours ago Guest Blogger 35 Comments
Jennifer Marohasy

If maximum temperatures are the same, whether measured by platinum resistance probes or mercury thermometers, why does the Bureau make an adjustment of 0.5 °C in the homogenisation of temperatures from Cape Otway Lighthouse?

ACORN-SAT is the temperature database derived from the ADAM database, used to report on climate change trends. This is an extract from the Bureau’s ACORN-SAT Station Adjustment Summary that was provided to me via journalist Graham Lloyd in 2014. This document is not publicly available and presumably has been updated since 2014, given the changes that have been made to the ACORN-SAT data base during this period. The entire 2014 document can be downloaded here.

Claims that we are facing a climate catastrophe because temperatures will soon be exceeding 1.5 °C is driving the closure of coal mines, caps on the price of gas and a mental health epidemic amongst children who increasingly fear global warming.

Temperature measurements as published by the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, and other such weather bureaus around the world, are at the heart of the concern, because they purportedly show an unprecedented increase, particularly over recent years.

On the one hand, the Bureau claims temperature measurements from the platinum resistance probes, which now replace mercury thermometers at most official recording stations, are equivalent and therefore there is no need for scrutiny of the parallel measurements that exist for 34 weather stations. On the other hand, the Bureau has made changes to official temperatures as recorded at Cape Otway Lighthouse theoretically of 0.5 °C for the 84 years from 1910 to 1994 based on this instrument change. According to the ACORN-SAT Station Adjustment Summary temperatures have been dropped down from 15th April 1994 back to 1st January 1910 by 0.5 °C, citing installation of an automatic weather station (AWS) that involves a change from mercury thermometer to probe.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/29/hyping-maximum-daily-temperatures-part-3/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson