Author Topic: Migrants sell $2 candy bars in subway to scrape by  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Migrants sell $2 candy bars in subway to scrape by
« on: January 29, 2023, 02:28:23 pm »
Migrants sell $2 candy bars in subway to scrape by
Story by Georgia Worrell, Melissa Klein • Yesterday 10:57 AM

It’s a bittersweet start to their American Dream.

Hordes of newly arrived South and Central American migrants are descending underground to peddle candy in subway stations and aboard trains across the Big Apple — often with babies strapped to their backs — in order to scrape by.

Maria Vaca, 25, who on Friday had been in New York for just eight days, said she needed money to pay rent to her cousin in the Bronx where she was staying with her husband and three kids. She said she collected $70 Thursday.

“I was told people buy candy here,” Vaca said of the 59th Street-Columbus Circle station where she was joined Friday by her 6-year-old daughter, who clung to her leg, her eyes wide.

Another mom, who declined to give her name and said she was in town for only 15 days, hawked $2 bags of M&Ms and Skittles at the same station, with her toddler daughter bundled up and strapped to her back.

“Those of us who just got here figured out that we can make money this way,” she said, adding that she can make upwards of $80 a day.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/migrants-sell-2-candy-bars-in-subway-to-scrape-by/ar-AA16Q3lg?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=61beaa675b4346c7baedbc968509283b
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson