Author Topic: What Has Been the Role of Petroleum in Human Progress? (Part IV)  (Read 242 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What Has Been the Role of Petroleum in Human Progress? (Part IV)
By Julián Salazar Velásquez -- January 27, 2023

Ed. note: Geologist and petroleum engineer Julián Salazar Velásquez, with nearly a half-century in the Mexican and Venezuelan oil industries, is a leading educator and proponent of free market energy. In addition to numerous articles, his book Gerencia Integrada de Campos de Hidrocarburos (2020) is a primer on the oil industry value chain. His four-part summary (see Part I, Part II, and Part III) ends today.

“I have two options: to remain silent in the last years of my life and witness the destruction of the world economy, as just happened in Venezuela. Or alert many to the threat to blessed living to avoid a repeat of destruction. In clear conscience, I opt for the second!”

The role that fossil fuels have played in the progress of humanity in four revolutions is undeniable:

Mechanization with steam engines powered by coal;

Massification of electricity, generated first by coal and later by falling water, oil, and natural gas
Computing

Digitization and artificial intelligence

The mineral energy story can incorporate another of the highly important indicators in the quality of life, such as agricultural and livestock development and food production. (Figures 12 and 13)

https://www.masterresource.org/mexico-energy-policy/oil-industry-salazar-4/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: What Has Been the Role of Petroleum in Human Progress? (Part IV)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 06:20:25 am »
Plastic bottles

Ziplock Bags

Garbage bags

Vaseline

Spandex

Polycarbonate

vinyl

Nitrile

(some) Condoms

Tires

Disposable diapers

Nylon(s)

(Red) Solo Cups...

Just to name a few essentials of civilization... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis