Author Topic: ‘God saved my life’: 98-year-old veteran shares story of surviving Battle of the Bulge  (Read 87 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

‘God saved my life’: 98-year-old veteran shares story of surviving Battle of the Bulge
FEATUREDWIB HISTORY January 23, 2023 Staff Writer 0

Bennett Stampes is surprised on his 98th birthday in May. Source: Facebook

Sig Christenson

San Antonio Express-News

Jan. 23—Army Staff Sgt. Bennett Stampes found himself doing a different job after the Nazis launched the Battle of the Bulge.

On an icy, snowy day in December 1944, he supervised soldiers as they dug foxholes in Belgium, a far cry from his previous assignment as an aide to a colonel. After helping some of them dig in along a big field, racing against the clock to firm up their defenses, Stampes jumped into a foxhole as the Germans were less than an hour out.

Soon enough, he eyed the enemy tanks as they crested a hill.

“I had my rifle, and I had a pistol. I got in my foxhole, and the tanks started coming across, and everything is coming toward us. And I got down as far as I could,” he said. “Well, I am a Christian. … And I prayed, and I said, ‘Lord if you get me through this, I’ll join the church when I come back home.'”

That’s just what he did.

https://warisboring.com/god-saved-my-life-98-year-old-veteran-shares-story-of-surviving-battle-of-the-bulge/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson