Author Topic: New feminist chemistry class teaches that science is racist  (Read 266 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New feminist chemistry class teaches that science is racist
« on: January 27, 2023, 05:12:21 pm »
New feminist chemistry class teaches that science is racist
A recent article describes the development of a Feminism and Science course at East Carolina University.
The authors used a framework based on 'Critical Race Theory and intersectional feminism.'
Article image
Shelby Kearns | Associate Editor
Friday, January 27, 2023 10:56 AM

A recent article published in the Journal of Chemical Education describes the development of a Feminism and Science course at East Carolina University (ECU) that was offered at the university. The course, the authors argue, should serve as a "model" for other educators to learn from, "present[ing] this work as an example of a transformative pedagogical model to dismantle White supremacy in Chemistry."

The article, titled “A Special Topic Class in Chemistry on Feminism and Science as a Tool to Disrupt the Dysconcious Racism in STEM," argues for a pedagogical framework based on “Critical Race Theory and intersectional feminism."

One of their goals “was to shine light, through this process, [on] how scientific epistemology and culture have strong links with capitalism, enslavement, colonization, and exploitation of female-bodied folks.”

Students also learned the definitions of terms such as diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and systemic racism.

https://campusreform.org/article?id=21093
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: New feminist chemistry class teaches that science is racist
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 05:14:18 pm »
 :banghead:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: New feminist chemistry class teaches that science is racist
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 05:49:41 pm »
:facepalm2: