Author Topic: Washington governor calls special session to push drug decriminalization law  (Read 184 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Washington governor calls special session to push drug decriminalization law
by Eden Villalovas, Breaking News Reporter |
 May 03, 2023 01:39 PM

Gov. Jay Inslee (D-WA) announced he would call for a special session in the Washington state legislature after the chamber failed to pass a bill decriminalizing the possession of fentanyl and other drugs.

“My office and I have been meeting with legislators from all four caucuses, and I am very optimistic about reaching an agreement that can pass both chambers,” Inslee said in a statement. “Cities and counties are eager to see a statewide policy that balances accountability and treatment, and I believe we can produce a bipartisan bill that does just that. Details are still being negotiated, but caucus leaders share the desire to pass a bill. I believe that starting the clock on May 16 will put us on a path to getting the job done this month.”

The state legislature will discuss revisions to Washington’s state drug possession laws, following a 2021 Supreme Court decision that struck down current laws as unconstitutional.

In a 5-4 decision known as State v. Blake, the divided court found that unintentional illegal drug possession, including of deadly fentanyl, is not a felony. The ruling said the current statute violated the state and federal constitution,

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-governor-calls-special-session-push-drug-decriminalization
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Then DUI should be eliminated.  Someone under the influence of fentanyl might be arrested by overzealous cops.  People who provide the drug should be free from prosecution if someone ODs on it, kills someone, or commits a felony - particularly if they off a politician. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

Then DUI should be eliminated.  Someone under the influence of fentanyl might be arrested by overzealous cops.  People who provide the drug should be free from prosecution if someone ODs on it, kills someone, or commits a felony - particularly if they off a politician. :yowsa:

That doesn't follow.