Author Topic: Scientists Create Shapeshifting Humanoid Robot That Can Liquefy And Reform  (Read 232 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Scientists Create Shapeshifting Humanoid Robot That Can Liquefy And Reform
TECH
26 January 2023
ByMICHELLE STARR

The robot escaping its own cage. (Wang et al., Matter, 2023)
Scientists have made a breakthrough in robotics: a shapeshifting robot that can switch between liquid and metal states to navigate tricky environments without compromising on strength.

Because they can be both soft and hard, the small, sea cucumber-inspired robots can overcome the limitations of robots that are only one or the other, and thus have the potential to provide greater utility in areas such as electronics assembly and even medical applications.

Researchers made the robots navigate obstacle courses, remove or deliver objects to a model of the human stomach, and even liquefy to escape a cage before reforming back into its original humanoid shape.

"Giving robots the ability to switch between liquid and solid states endows them with more functionality," says engineer Chengfeng Pan of The Chinese University of Hong Kong in China.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-create-shapeshifting-humanoid-robot-that-can-liquefy-and-reform
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online andy58-in-nh

Uh oh.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn