Author Topic: Rapid loss of talent contributing to DOD cyber shortfalls: Pentagon’s chief weapons tester  (Read 112 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Rapid loss of talent contributing to DOD cyber shortfalls: Pentagon’s chief weapons tester
BY
MARK POMERLEAU
JANUARY 23, 2023

“Shortfalls” in the Department of Defense’s cyber posture can be attributed to the rapid loss of talent to private industry, according to the Pentagon’s chief weapons tester.

The recently released fiscal 2022 annual report of the Office of the Director, Operational Test and Evaluation asserts that “the DOD’s abilities to assess against Red Teams portraying nation state adversaries remain limited due to persistent resource and personnel shortfalls,” adding “[a]nother persistent shortfall in the DOD’s cyber posture is the lack of adequate cyber test capabilities.”

The report notes that advanced adversaries such as Russia and China are devoting significant resources to offensive cyber operations directed at the U.S. — and comparable test capabilities are needed to assess DOD’s ability to withstand those feints.

While the report points to a lack of assessment of cyber tools, it notes there must be top level developmental and operational test capabilities. However, there aren’t enough skilled cyber operators to support such requirements.

https://defensescoop.com/2023/01/23/rapid-loss-of-talent-contributing-to-dod-cyber-shortfalls-pentagons-chief-weapons-tester/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
"Shortfalls in recruiting + shortfalls in retention = BIG TROUBLE!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson