Author Topic: U.S. arrests of Cuban, Haitian, Nicaraguan and Venezuelan migrants plummet  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. arrests of Cuban, Haitian, Nicaraguan and Venezuelan migrants plummet

Wed, January 25, 2023 at 4:21 PM EST·2 min read

By Ted Hesson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The number of migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela caught crossing the U.S.-Mexico border dropped off dramatically from December to January following new rules that expel them back to Mexico, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said.

U.S. authorities encountered a daily average of just 115 migrants from those countries over a week-long period ending on Jan. 24, down from an average 3,367 in the week to Dec. 11, a 97% drop, DHS said on Wednesday.

The department attributed the decrease to the expansion of a public health order known as Title 42, which was first implemented by Republican former President Donald Trump to combat the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as expanded legal pathways to enter the United States.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-arrests-cuban-haitian-nicaraguan-212143564.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson