Author Topic: McCarthy says Santos will be removed if probe finds he broke law  (Read 234 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Axios by Andrew Solender  1/24/2023

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Tuesday said Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) will be removed from Congress if the House Ethics Committee finds he broke the law.

Why it matters: It's the closest McCarthy has come to outlining potential consequences for the Long Island freshman amid a battery of investigations into revelations he fabricated huge swaths of his resume.

•   In addition to the internal House Ethics probe, federal, state and local investigators are also probing various elements of the resume scandal for potential law-breaking.

What he’s saying: "If for some way when we go through Ethics and he has broken the law, then we will remove him," McCarthy told reporters at a press conference outside his Capitol office on Tuesday.

•   Still, McCarthy said he will protect his embattled colleague for the moment. "You know why I’m standing by him? Because his constituents voted for him," he said.

•   "I do not have the power, simply because I disagree with somebody on what they have said, that I will remove them from elected office."

More: https://www.axios.com/2023/01/25/mccarthy-george-santos-congress-law-investigation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: McCarthy says Santos will be removed if probe finds he broke law
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 01:29:05 am »
Sounds good on paper, but it puts the keys to Santos' office in the hands of political prosecutors hired by Democrats.  Case in point:  Recall Tom DeLay.  He was kicked out of Leadership when a Democrat Prosecutor in Austin Indicted him for nothing.  The GOP had a rule causing that removal, while the Dems have no such rule. 

AFAIK, that rule is still in effect.

MCarthy should have just stuck with "Screw you!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bilo

Re: McCarthy says Santos will be removed if probe finds he broke law
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 06:43:44 pm »
Sounds good on paper, but it puts the keys to Santos' office in the hands of political prosecutors hired by Democrats. Case in point:  Recall Tom DeLay.  He was kicked out of Leadership when a Democrat Prosecutor in Austin Indicted him for nothing.  The GOP had a rule causing that removal, while the Dems have no such rule. 

AFAIK, that rule is still in effect.

MCarthy should have just stuck with "Screw you!"

Great point, and with a slim majority in the House giving up one seat is not smart.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home