Author Topic: Senators eye Social Security reforms as some in House GOP consider cuts  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Senators eye Social Security reforms as some in House GOP consider cuts
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 10:26:33 pm »
You are having fun, aren't you?  We need a middle finger emoji.

@Smokin Joe @Kamaji is right on this. I agree about the middle finger emoji, but it shouldn't be directed at him.

Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes are THE most regressive taxes we have in that they come out of the very first dollar earned, and they are not optional. Secondly, all this BS about your employer paying half is just more smoke and mirrors. Every penny comes out of the hide of the employee. Thirdly, if there ever was a trust fund or lock box, it has long since disappeared. The fact it that it was actuarily unsound from day one as they started making payments at the same time they started taking our money.

Even worse than that, at least to my mind, is the corporate income tax and all it does to our economy by pure subterfuge!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:37:54 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2023, 10:47:35 pm »
Not an emoji, but satisfying when used properly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:48:31 pm by GtHawk »

Online GtHawk

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2023, 10:55:25 pm »
Make everyone on Social Security Disability re-apply for benefits.
Sure because you never know when my body will regrow disks, nerves and nerve pathways. I get your drift though, there are a great many scammers who got some doc or psychologist to sign off on disability. I am constantly hearing from my wife about people who want one of her psychologists to put in a disability diagnosis for them just because they don't want to work anymore. Yeah I go in for a re-evaluation every five or ten years if it meant getting the grifters out of the system. But as others have said, get the illegals off of welfare, free medical and unearned social security and do it before hammering Americans.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2023, 11:08:12 pm »
Sure because you never know when my body will regrow disks, nerves and nerve pathways. I get your drift though, there are a great many scammers who got some doc or psychologist to sign off on disability. I am constantly hearing from my wife about people who want one of her psychologists to put in a disability diagnosis for them just because they don't want to work anymore. Yeah I go in for a re-evaluation every five or ten years if it meant getting the grifters out of the system. But as others have said, get the illegals off of welfare, free medical and unearned social security and do it before hammering Americans.

I'm pretty sure that a real investigation would uncover a lot of abuse of all kinds.

Remove the attractants and they will stop showing up.  If I were in charge, we would have Singapore rules.  (You can't get a hotel room, much less rent an apartment, there unless you can prove you are there legally.)

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2023, 11:09:21 pm »

To be perfectly honest, a little bit, yes.  I just find it somewhat interesting that, amongst a group that is frequently much more cognizant on a financial level of what the federal government's impositions entail, there is such a blind spot on the facts about what social security is, and what it is not.

Offline berdie

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2023, 11:09:46 pm »
So you want to continue being lied to, and you want to continue to believe the lie?  Your choice.  But subjective choice cannot change what the plain language of the statutes says, and that is that the so-called social security tax is simply another income tax larded up on top of the regular income tax.  It most definitely is not the payment of some sort of purchase price for a retirement annuity.

I don't think you read my post...or understood what I said.  :shrug: Could be my fault as I am not good at conveying my thoughts, lol.

But no matter, I'm not going to repeat what I've already said. :laugh:

Online GtHawk

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2023, 11:16:26 pm »

I don't think you read my post...or understood what I said.  :shrug: Could be my fault as I am not good at conveying my thoughts, lol.

But no matter, I'm not going to repeat what I've already said. :laugh:
Moi? Misunderstand what someone wrote? Aren't you jumping to the conclusion that I actually read what you wrote? :silly: :silly:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2023, 11:20:41 pm »
Moi? Misunderstand what someone wrote? Aren't you jumping to the conclusion that I actually read what you wrote? :silly: :silly:

I think her remarks were directed @Kamaji @GtHawk

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2023, 11:22:51 pm »

Are you sure you are talking to me?? :laugh:

Offline berdie

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2023, 11:49:14 pm »
I think her remarks were directed @Kamaji @GtHawk

You are correct @Bigun. :laugh:

And I agree with your post #28 re: abuse and fraud of the system.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2023, 02:15:18 am »

You are correct @Bigun. :laugh:

And I agree with your post #28 re: abuse and fraud of the system.
Well I have no problem saying I screwed up and misunderstood, too many distractions and a short attention span(ADD not being an excuse in the forum) makes for errors. Good evening to all.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2023, 03:46:13 am »
Well I have no problem saying I screwed up and misunderstood, too many distractions and a short attention span(ADD not being an excuse in the forum) makes for errors. Good evening to all.

It's all good my friend! No harm no foul.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2023, 04:31:34 pm »
Increasing the ages at which SS can be taken for people far from retirement is the only politically reasonable way to fix this.  It should be remembered that when SS was started with the age required to take benefits set at 65, the average life-expectancy (at birth) for Americans was 64.  Had the age to take benefits been tracking life-expectancy all along the program would not have turned into the fiscal black hole it has become.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2023, 07:25:03 pm »
Increasing the ages at which SS can be taken for people far from retirement is the only politically reasonable way to fix this.  It should be remembered that when SS was started with the age required to take benefits set at 65, the average life-expectancy (at birth) for Americans was 64.  Had the age to take benefits been tracking life-expectancy all along the program would not have turned into the fiscal black hole it has become.
That would be about right...raising the age as I arrive at the age to receive it.  Hold that carrot out in front of us just a little further now...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2023, 07:27:27 pm »

Means-testing should also apply.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2023, 08:17:45 pm »
I look forward to being dead well before I reach the eligibility age for Social Security.

When I got my SS Card back in 1973, they put my eligibility date of 2022 on the attached letter

When I saw that number...  I laughed my ass off.

Well.......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2023, 08:21:24 pm »
Something has to give, and soon.  My preference would be to increase the full retirement age from 67 to 72 for people born after 1970.  SSA is already a ripoff for the high wage earners … we don’t need to soak them any more to fund this scheme.

And for us in who will have to pay tax again on 75% on the benefit which was withheld as a tax, and accrued no interest on our behalf?  The fact of double taxation is a bitch added to this ponzi operation.  It's a heck of a scam. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 09:20:35 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2023, 09:04:14 pm »
And for us in who will have to pay tax again on 75% on the benefit which was withheld as a tax, and accrued no interest on our behalf?  The double taxation is a bitch on this ponzi operation is bad enough.

Again, because you didn't pay for anything in the first place - the two events - social security taxation and receipt of a welfare benefit - are two logically distinct events.  In the first, you simply paid an additional income tax liability.  In the second, you received a welfare benefit - an accession to wealth, clearly realized (i.e., income in the Glenshaw Glass sense) - which, for various policy purposes, Congress has chosen to tax.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2023, 09:19:22 pm »
Again, because you didn't pay for anything in the first place - the two events - social security taxation and receipt of a welfare benefit - are two logically distinct events.  In the first, you simply paid an additional income tax liability.  In the second, you received a welfare benefit - an accession to wealth, clearly realized (i.e., income in the Glenshaw Glass sense) - which, for various policy purposes, Congress has chosen to tax.

Huh?   

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2023, 09:19:47 pm »
Repukes really want to lose in 2024.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2023, 11:26:00 pm »
Agreed.  And it should be means-tested, so that the benefit is reserved to those who really need a security net.

@Kamaji

Yes,and no. You can NOT have a government take a percentage of you income out of your pay every week/year,and then 40+ years down the road tell them "Sorry,Bubba. We have decided to not give you any of your money back."?

Maybe set up accounts as trust funds and then make pay-outs accounding to "pay-ins" if the payee in question was lucky enough to live to 65-70 and have been healthy and lucky enough to have some savings,and then keeping the rest of what that individual is owed by today's system in some sort of trust fund that that it is available to him/her if they develop health issues as they age.

Allow the Gooberment a small fee in percentages of each account they handle.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2023, 11:27:06 pm »
Where is the discussion of limiting Welfare benefits (not paid for), especially for illegals--or how about just evicting them altogether? Where is the talk of putting the FedGov back in its Constitutional cage and reducing expenditures that way?

@Smokin Joe

ROFLMAO!

Good one,Joe!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2023, 11:29:19 pm »
David wrote:
"Increasing the ages at which SS can be taken for people far from retirement is the only politically reasonable way to fix this.  It should be remembered that when SS was started with the age required to take benefits set at 65, the average life-expectancy (at birth) for Americans was 64"

A losing proposition.

The folks in this forum are mostly elitists. They never did much real physical work for a living (some have, others, no). Perhaps when younger... but over the course of a lifetime... no. (you're welcome to call me presumptuous, I don't care)

What about the mason (or the guy mixing the mortar), the carpenter, the plumber in the crawlspace, miners, or even guys "higher up" (such as rail workers or airline workers) who "earn their livings through the [actual] sweat of their brows and back? Or who rely upon both mental and physical acuity, such as a common truck driver? And have to do that for 40 years or more?

Some can still do it at 67, 70.
But many more cannot. Age catches up to us at different speeds.
In spite of medical advances through the years, many men are starting to fail by the early 60's.

That's the reason the retirement age was set as it was.

The SS system isn't going to be "fixed" this way.
And those that try to do it... will soon be voted into the minority.
Or out of office completely.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2023, 11:32:03 pm »
I look forward to being dead well before I reach the eligibility age for Social Security.

@DefiantMassRINO

Didn't work that way for me,and besides spending 7 years in SF,I did stuff like run my Harley into the wall of a liquor store out in Denver one Satuday night during a blinding snow storm that had the Colorado HP shutting down highways.

I ran out of whiskey close to midnight,and all the liquor stores closed at midnight.

Seems like brakes don't work that well on snow and ice. Who knew?

The good news is that a brick wall WILL stop you from sliding.

That was the deed that caused me to cut the wires from my battery to the electric starter.

Lots of stuff I just sorta vaguely remember,and more stuff I do remember but am NOT going to discuss with anyone at anytime.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:34:30 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2023, 11:35:09 pm »
dfw observes:
"Repukes really want to lose in 2024"

You got that right.

Come all you young Republicans
Who think you cannot fail
You're gonna "fix" retirement,
By grabbin' this third rail

(refrain)