Author Topic: Senators eye Social Security reforms as some in House GOP consider cuts  (Read 8763 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Senators eye Social Security reforms as some in House GOP consider cuts
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2023, 05:12:58 pm »
HEY!

Not ALL single mothers are single mothers by choice,and being a single mother is NOT an easy thing. Especially if there are multiple children.

@sneakypete

I was raised by a single mother who did a good job raising me when she was sober.  My comment wasn't a slam at single mothers, but a slam at how society views them.  The Democrats put them on a pedestal, glorifying them as a justification for every Big Government program they can think of.   But the reality is that single-parent households lead to the vast majority of societal ills.  And sadly, our government encourages it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2023, 05:33:44 pm »
@sneakypete

I was raised by a single mother who did a good job raising me when she was sober.  My comment wasn't a slam at single mothers, but a slam at how society views them.  The Democrats put them on a pedestal, glorifying them as a justification for every Big Government program they can think of.   But the reality is that single-parent households lead to the vast majority of societal ills.  And sadly, our government encourages it.

Mandate it for those who receive government assistance.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2023, 09:19:07 pm »
One of the worst villains in society today is the single mother.

*FACTS*

And the primary evidence that our social contract (society) is utterly broken.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2023, 09:20:41 pm »
@sneakypete

I was raised by a single mother who did a good job raising me when she was sober.  My comment wasn't a slam at single mothers, but a slam at how society views them. The Democrats put them on a pedestal, glorifying them as a justification for every Big Government program they can think of.   But the reality is that single-parent households lead to the vast majority of societal ills.  And sadly, our government encourages it.

@Hoodat

Can't argue with any of that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline berdie

« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2023, 10:14:56 pm »
@Bigun @roamer_1

I agree with you both that the breakdown of the family unit is a problem. A big problem.

And in a lot of cases it has to do with increased reliance of the government. But it also has to do with the mobility of today's society. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Very few families stay intact anymore. That really isn't new either. People have been loading up in Conestogas or schooners to seek their fortune for a long time.

It's like an established oak tree drops it's acorns. A bird comes along, picks the acorns up and carry them to a remote area. The acorns grow into new trees. The new trees are pretty busy growing and really can't support the original tree.  The new job is a hassel and the kids have the flu.

For that reason, as much as I believe that family should be the first line of defense, I don't see it returning. Our churches are crumbling. Second line of defense gone. The return to state assistance is a great idea. But still tax supported (maybe better controlled, idk).

I guess the point of this long and boring post is...the way SS has been presented is as a retirement plan. I get it. It isn't and is unconstitutional. I get that as well. But the majority of people believe it is "their" money.

I actually don't think our current crop of pols have the fortitude to change it. Since it was "sold" as a retirement plan, I don't think they should. There are lots of other places to cut. jmho

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2023, 10:26:06 pm »
To everybody:

Ya know, the Original Story here is bullshit from The Shill, designed to provoke the discussion that has gone through multiple pages worth of arguments that aren't changing any minds at all.  Nobody in Gummint wants to touch SS in any way, that's why they call it "The Third Rail."

It was meant to start this fight, I noted it on Page One, and I got zero replies.  Sure, we need the discussion but not in this media-created context.  Stop caving to the Effing Shill!

Somebody give me ONE reason to NOT lock this sucker right now.  I'll be back in an hour with a padlock.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2023, 11:04:38 pm »
To everybody:

Ya know, the Original Story here is bullshit from The Shill, designed to provoke the discussion that has gone through multiple pages worth of arguments that aren't changing any minds at all.  Nobody in Gummint wants to touch SS in any way, that's why they call it "The Third Rail."

It was meant to start this fight, I noted it on Page One, and I got zero replies.  Sure, we need the discussion but not in this media-created context.  Stop caving to the Effing Shill!

Somebody give me ONE reason to NOT lock this sucker right now.  I'll be back in an hour with a padlock.

@Cyber Liberty

That "someone" will NOT be me. Kill it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2023, 11:09:26 pm »
To everybody:

Do as you please. I no longer GAF!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2023, 11:21:57 pm »

I agree with you both that the breakdown of the family unit is a problem. A big problem.

One could say it is THE problem in the end, @berdie ... A whole lot of why liberalism has a hard time penetrating into rural areas is directly because the family is still strong.

[...]
For that reason, as much as I believe that family should be the first line of defense, I don't see it returning. Our churches are crumbling. Second line of defense gone. The return to state assistance is a great idea. But still tax supported (maybe better controlled, idk).

I guess the point of this long and boring post is...the way SS has been presented is as a retirement plan. I get it. It isn't and is unconstitutional. I get that as well. But the majority of people believe it is "their" money.

I actually don't think our current crop of pols have the fortitude to change it. Since it was "sold" as a retirement plan, I don't think they should. There are lots of other places to cut. jmho

Your thinking ain't wrong, but your thinking or mine is incidental to the fact - and the fact is that sooner or later this boondoggle government is gonna come crashing down - And I thoroughly believe I will see that day - It s not far off.

And what will be left when all the rest has painfully burned away? The true things. The things that are. And family is one of them. God ordained.

These things look nice, but are a tremendous weight. holding down the things that are true... Beating reality into some other thing... It cannot last for long. Reality comes back with a vengeance. Or we can voluntarily return to what we know is true.

And in that repentance, maybe even remember which bathroom to use.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2023, 11:28:22 pm »
This thread is now locked!  Thank you all for your insights, now it's time to move on!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: