Author Topic: Daily Show Spreads Fake News About Pro-Lifers Banning Contraception  (Read 279 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Daily Show Spreads Fake News About Pro-Lifers Banning Contraception
Alex Christy
January 25th, 2023 10:20 AM

Temp host Wanda Sykes invited The Nation’s Katha Pollitt on to Comedy Central’s Tuesday edition of The Daily Show to lament the terminology of pro-lifers, declaring there to be “no such thing as an abortion doctor” and allow Pollitt to spread some debunked talking points about what pro-lifers really seek to achieve.

On the terminology front, Sykes declared, “Now in the terminology that they use, it's like scare tactics, like, you know, like, partial-birth abortion, and abortion doctors. Like, no one goes to college and go, you know, ‘what you going to be’ ‘I’m going to be a cardiologist,’ ‘what you doing?’ ‘I don’t know; I think I’m going to work with feet.’ ‘What about you?’ ‘Abortion! That's all I'm doing. Just abortions.’ There is no such thing as an abortion doctor.”

Even if one accepts Sykes’s premise that there is no such thing as an abortion doctor, abortions are still preformed—that’s why Pollitt was on the show—and so to call that a scare tactic is simply wrong.

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/alex-christy/2023/01/25/daily-show-spreads-fake-news-about-pro-lifers-banning
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Daily Show Spreads Fake News About Pro-Lifers Banning Contraception
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 07:36:19 pm »
If someone does something distasteful, they will be known for it.

Have conjugal relations with a pig, and that will be what you are known for, no matter what else you do.

If you don't want to be called an "abortion doctor", don't perform abortions.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis