Author Topic: The Department of Defense Has Delivered Another Massive Intelligence Failure  (Read 247 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Department of Defense Has Delivered Another Massive Intelligence Failure

Chinese emissions represent at least as great a threat to US security as the multitude of weapons enumerated in the Pentagon’s 2022 report—so why was it not addressed?
By Michael T. KlareTwitterTODAY 5:00 AM

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article originally appeared at TomDispatch.com. To stay on top of important articles like these, sign up to receive the latest updates from TomDispatch.com.

Given the secrecy typically accorded to the military and the inclination of government officials to skew data to satisfy the preferences of those in power, intelligence failures are anything but unusual in this country’s security affairs. In 2003, for instance, President George W. Bush invaded Iraq based on claims—later found to be baseless—that its leader, Saddam Hussein, was developing or already possessed weapons of mass destruction. Similarly, the instant collapse of the Afghan government in August 2021, when the United States completed the withdrawal of its forces from that country, came as a shock only because of wildly optimistic intelligence estimates of that government’s strength. Now, the Department of Defense has delivered another massive intelligence failure, this time on China’s future threat to American security.

The Pentagon is required by law to provide Congress and the public with an annual report on “military and security developments involving the People’s Republic of China,” or PRC, over the next 20 years. The 2022 version, 196 pages of detailed information published last November 29, focused on its current and future military threat to the United States. In two decades, so we’re assured, China’s military—the People’s Liberation Army, or PLA—will be superbly equipped to counter Washington should a conflict arise over Taiwan or navigation rights in the South China Sea. But here’s the shocking thing: In those nearly 200 pages of analysis, there wasn’t a single word—not one—devoted to China’s role in what will pose the most pressing threat to our security in the years to come, runaway climate change.

https://www.thenation.com/article/world/pentagon-security-china-climate/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
 9999hair out0000

Why is Climate Change a threat to our National Security?

Because these bloody twits think they can do something to alter it, and that 'something' is making a once strong nation into a spineless economic eunuch, stripped of industrial capability, laden with generations of people more worried about insignificant emissions than freezing to death, and far from mentally ready to enter the crucible of armed conflict.

The Chinese will have no compunction about burning, breaking, and killing whatever stands in their way. The last thing they will worry about is their "carbon footprint" when their bootprint will be on the necks of whomever they conquer.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
9999hair out0000

Why is Climate Change a threat to our National Security?

Because these bloody twits think they can do something to alter it, and that 'something' is making a once strong nation into a spineless economic eunuch, stripped of industrial capability, laden with generations of people more worried about insignificant emissions than freezing to death, and far from mentally ready to enter the crucible of armed conflict.

The Chinese will have no compunction about burning, breaking, and killing whatever stands in their way. The last thing they will worry about is their "carbon footprint" when their bootprint will be on the necks of whomever they conquer.

Hey, Joe, tell us how you really feel! :silly:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson