Author Topic: Senate GOP pours cold water on idea of impeaching Biden  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Senate GOP pours cold water on idea of impeaching Biden
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2023, 04:04:47 pm »
So, Biden gets impeached.  Will President Kamal Harris be any better for America?  She'd certainly be better for America's enemies.

I'd be less worried about President Harris, than I would be about President Newsom, or whomever else the democrats would force through as the new VP, and who would, sooner rather than later, end up taking over the presidency once Harris is forced to resign.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2023, 04:07:15 pm »
No, actually, it does not.

OK swamy! Tell me what it says beyond the plain English words contained therein. I'm all ears. /S
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2023, 04:07:42 pm »
No! I mean the part that says "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;... 

I don't see anything about unless the senate refuses to convict there!

We agree 100.000% there.

But from a pragmatic stand point, and I will give 1995 /1996 as an example....  Here were my observations

1. A POTUS with his fingers within 10 feet of the launch codes got a BJ from a white house intern.
2. He lied about it to the media.
3. He lied to Congress under oath.
4. Clinton was Impeached for Perjury and Obstruction of Jusitce pretty close to party line.
5. The Senate chose not to convict..... by a whopping 22 votes.
6. Clinton received "victimhood" status from the MSM 1995-1996 for basically lying about a sexual affair.
7. Clinton's approval rating went from 42% during impeachment to 60% by the time of the '96 election.
8. Clinton used that victimhood meme and it helped him get re-elected.

The point I am making, is that while I agree that Pedo Joe should be impeached, convicted......   Hell...  I think he should be in jail.  And what Slick Willie pulled off, was a exploitation of the system.

The systems that Constitution has put in place makes it impossible to hold him accountable when you have such a large faction in oppostion who are just as bad and complict.   And sadly us trying to hold him accountable will backfire miserably.

Please don't shoot the messenger.  As my constant dwelling on the deficit, I am as principle minded as any.  Still, I am a realist, who understands we need to better our lives in ways that will really work with the structual confines of our government.  And impeaching this old fool only gives him a life line.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2023, 04:08:50 pm »
I fully understand that sentiment and vehemently disagree with it.

Perhaps you might explain to me how pursuing a useless impeachment effort against Joe Biden will change the political fortunes of the GOP?

I am sorry, but I just do not see any good coming from it. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2023, 04:09:36 pm »
We agree 100.000% there.

But from a pragmatic stand point, and I will give 1995 /1996 as an example....  Here were my observations

1. A POTUS with his fingers within 10 feet of the launch codes got a BJ from a white house intern.
2. He lied about it to the media.
3. He lied to Congress under oath.
4. Clinton was Impeached for Perjury and Obstruction of Jusitce pretty close to party line.
5. The Senate chose not to convict..... by a whopping 22 votes.
6. Clinton received "victimhood" status from the MSM 1995-1996 for basically lying about a sexual affair.
7. Clinton's approval rating went from 42% during impeachment to 60% by the time of the '96 election.
8. Clinton used that victimhood meme and it helped him get re-elected.

The point I am making, is that while I agree that Pedo Joe should be impeached, convicted......   Hell...  I think he should be in jail.  And what Slick Willie pulled off, was a exploitation of the system.

The systems that Constitution has put in place makes it impossible to hold him accountable when you have such a large faction in oppostion who are just as bad and complict.   And sadly us trying to hold him accountable will backfire miserably.

Please don't shoot the messenger.  As my constant dwelling on the deficit, I am as principle minded as any.  Still, I am a realist, who understands we need to better our lives in ways that will really work with the structual confines of our government.  And impeaching this old fool only gives him a life line.

As I have already said, I understand and vehemently disagree.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2023, 04:11:12 pm »
Impeachment is not a solution.

Impeachment is no substitute for popular elections.

Impeachment is no substitute for legislation.

Congressional Republicans are underperforming because they aren't solving anything.

The American people will keep vascilating between slight Dem majorities and and slight GOP majorities until one of them demonstrates with the will and the ability to solve America's problems.

Impeachment does not stop the Globalist sell-out of America.
Impeachment does not lower Government spending.
Impeachment does not bring supply chains back to America.
Impeachment does not secure the Border.
Impeachment does not breakup monopolies, dualopolies, oligopolies, and cartels.
Impeachment does not lower Federal income taxes for wage earners.
Impeachment does not bring school choice to Americans.

Every moment spent on Impeachment is a moment and an opportunity wasted by the GOP.

GOP, do the damn job we sent you to Washington to do.  If you don't, we'll primary your cowardly, weaselly, useless, worthless, pathetic, weak, impotent, mindless asses.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:12:57 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2023, 04:11:47 pm »
Perhaps you might explain to me how pursuing a useless impeachment effort against Joe Biden will change the political fortunes of the GOP?

Agreed.

I'd love to see a court rule him in contempt or something. Then impeachment would have a much greater affect.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2023, 04:12:06 pm »

I have repeatedly done so already. Oaths are important!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2023, 04:12:49 pm »
How can this be damaging to the US by impeaching a sitting President who has committed crimes against the US!

I can't believe most of you agree with the spineless Repubs in the Senate....

Less of an agreement and more of a concession that the system is flawed, and an impeachment conviction is not only be an impossible task , it might back fire on us.  I've used '95/'96 as an example

I'd rather have McCarthy and the gang, use every single waking moment un-doing....  what Joe has done. That's our best bang for the buck on floor time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2023, 04:14:30 pm »
Less of an agreement and more of a concession that the system is flawed, and an impeachment conviction is not only be an impossible task , it might back fire on us.  I've used '95/'96 as an example

I'd rather have McCarthy and the gang, use every single waking moment un-doing....  what Joe has done. That's our best bang for the buck on floor time.

Flawed or not, it's all we have and we should use it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2023, 04:15:19 pm »
As I have already said, I understand and vehemently disagree.

:beer:

Which is a real rarity.  We are 99.9999% usually in alignment.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2023, 04:15:42 pm »
I have repeatedly done so already. Oaths are important!

Of course they are. To you, and me, and to God, who I believe will in time sort things out. 

To Congress, they are meaningless.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2023, 04:15:44 pm »
Impeachment is 0-3 over the past 25 years.  How will going 0-4 improve anything?

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

• Technical
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2023, 04:16:30 pm »
This impeaching-for-every-offense-mentality will turn the US into a Parliamentary system, where the President is effectively elected by Congress. This is sorta what is happening in Brazil too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2023, 04:18:25 pm »
:beer:

Which is a real rarity.  We are 99.9999% usually in alignment.

:yowsa: Many years ago, I took a very similar oath and, to this day, have never once violated it. I meant what I said and expect the same from others.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2023, 04:20:00 pm »
Failed Impeachments may satisfy the poltical bloodlust for revenge that attracts media ratings and campaign dollars, but they do not move the Conservative agenda forward.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:20:54 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2023, 04:21:49 pm »
This impeaching-for-every-offense-mentality will turn the US into a Parliamentary system, where the President is effectively elected by Congress. This is sorta what is happening in Brazil too.

Doing violence to the constitution cannot be excused under any circumstance. When you do that there is no longer a constitution.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:24:09 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2023, 04:21:52 pm »
Let's have a mental exercise shall we? Imagine the threshold to throw out of office was a simple majority: 51%. Then as soon as a Congressional House flipped they'd immediately impeach the office holder and his successor until a "friendly" was appointed.

Anything the GOP can do so can the Democrats when a GOPer is President. And they have no morals as we all know, even impeachment a President after he's not even in power anymore.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2023, 04:22:59 pm »
I don't! The house should do its job without consideration of what the senate may or may not do.

There are so many rinos in the house, I doubt they could move an impeachment proceeding out of the house.
Would you be willing to fight and die for multiculturalism?  Would you put your life on the line for “Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity” (DIE); “Environmental, Social, and corporate Governance” (ESG); or other Marxist worldviews?  Would you go to war to preserve the right of delusional men to use women’s restrooms and dominate women’s sports?  Would you fight for any government that hunts down and imprisons J6 protesters as political hostages but celebrates Antifa and Black Lives Matter rioters who cause physical injury and property damage?

J.B. Shurk

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2023, 04:23:20 pm »
Of course they are. To you, and me, and to God, who I believe will in time sort things out. 

To Congress, they are meaningless.

And I find that to be a HUGE problem! In fact, THE problem!

There are a few key words here that might aid your understanding. I'll highlight them for you.

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents' interests, I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can."

Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.), "The Conscience of a Conservative"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:35:03 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2023, 04:25:41 pm »
Impeachment is 0-3 over the past 25 28 years.  How will going 0-4 improve anything?

Sorry, my OCD side shows sometimes.  :cool:

• Technical
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2023, 04:26:37 pm »
Doing violence to the constitution cannot be excused under any circumstance. When you do that there is no longer a constitution.

Yeah but mindlessly engaging in something that is self-defeating will do even more damage to the constitution in the long term. Like aggressively pursuing impeachment against the President because he jaywalked or something. Impeachment is a political game like anything else. That's just reality. You need the public on your side.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2023, 04:28:16 pm »
Impeachment is 0-3 over the past 25 years.  How will going 0-4 improve anything?
How will ignoring corruption and malfeasance improve anything?
I am not after revenge, I want the swamp drained and continually refusing to hold criminals responsible does nothing. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2023, 04:28:54 pm »
Yeah but mindlessly engaging in something that is self-defeating will do even more damage to the constitution in the long term. Like aggressively pursuing impeachment against the President because he jaywalked or something. Impeachment is a political game like anything else. That's just reality. You need the public on your side.

How does upholding one's oath to the constitution possibly do violence to it?  That makes no sense at all.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2023, 04:29:47 pm »
There are so many rinos in the house, I doubt they could move an impeachment proceeding out of the house.

Great point Ranger.  And if that happened it would be humiliating to the party's standing inside and out.