Author Topic: Senate GOP pours cold water on idea of impeaching Biden  (Read 3178 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Senate GOP pours cold water on idea of impeaching Biden
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 03:33:16 pm »
Agreed!....He will still be impeached just not convicted by the Senate....They refer to Trump as a twice impeached President....Biden has actually committed crimes warranting impeachment.

That's all true but the really important part is that house members would be upholding their oaths fo a change.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 03:35:31 pm »
That's all true but the really important part is that house members would be upholding their oaths fo a change.

Their oaths don't require them to mindlessly impeach the president just because.  Their oaths require them, in point of fact, to evaluate and weigh their options, and to make a strategic decision as to whether, for example, an impeachment would be likely to result in a conviction, or would just be a waste of time and money that did nothing other than to provide a massive amount of talking points for a partisan political party.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2023, 03:37:10 pm »
And just how much damage did being impeached do to Clinton?

Impeachment- 1995

1996 POTUS Election-

Bill Clinton- 47,401,185  (49.2%). 379 EV's
Bob Dole- 39,197, 469 (40.7%) 159 EV's
Ross Perot- 8,085,294- (8.4%) 0 EV's
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2023, 03:38:19 pm »
Their oaths don't require them to mindlessly impeach the president just because.  Their oaths require them, in point of fact, to evaluate and weigh their options, and to make a strategic decision as to whether, for example, an impeachment would be likely to result in a conviction, or would just be a waste of time and money that did nothing other than to provide a massive amount of talking points for a partisan political party.

Their oaths require them to take proper action when the constitution is violated. Period!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2023, 03:40:05 pm »
Impeachment- 1995

1996 POTUS Election-

Bill Clinton- 47,401,185  (49.2%). 379 EV's
Bob Dole- 39,197, 469 (40.7%) 159 EV's
Ross Perot- 8,085,294- (8.4%) 0 EV's

Totally irrelevant!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2023, 03:40:14 pm »
Their oaths require them to take proper action when the constitution is violated. Period!

That is simply mindless action.  Like being a meter maid.  There is a reason why impeachment is a matter for Congress, and not, for example, for the Supreme Court, or some other court venue, and that is because it is an eminently political matter and therefore political considerations must always be evaluated in deciding whether or not to impeach a sitting president.

That is what their oaths require, not some mindless, pavlovian knee-jerk response.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 03:41:35 pm »

I'd rather make this country better by having them apply laser focus in reversing what has been the most disasterous policy making of my lifetime.  Loss of Energy Independence, Open borders, 10+% inflation, Afghanistan debacle etc, etc. 

Impeaching this dementia sticken stupid son of a bitch accompishes none of that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2023, 03:42:53 pm »
GOP, govern.

Enough with the carnival sideshows.

Start legislating solutions to our country's problems, or we'll elect someone else to do it in 2 years.

You keep this up, the American people will impeach all you useless Swamp turds.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2023, 03:42:59 pm »
Totally irrelevant!

So you are saying Clinton didn't use the impeachment to his advantage?  I must have lived in a different world at the time.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2023, 03:43:15 pm »
That is simply mindless action.  Like being a meter maid.  There is a reason why impeachment is a matter for Congress, and not, for example, for the Supreme Court, or some other court venue, and that is because it is an eminently political matter and therefore political considerations must always be evaluated in deciding whether or not to impeach a sitting president.

That is what their oaths require, not some mindless, pavlovian knee-jerk response.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and ..."

What part of that do you fail to understand?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2023, 03:45:11 pm »
So you are saying Clinton didn't use the impeachment to his advantage?  I must have lived in a different world at the time.

NOPE! Not saying that at all!  Read the above response to @Kamaji

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2023, 03:46:19 pm »

You mean like the part to focus on protecting the border instead of impeaching a dolting drooling old man?

To me that more meets the criteria than kicking Pedo Joe to the Curb (which won't happen anyway without 67 senate votes for conviction)

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2023, 03:47:27 pm »

:mauslaff:

What part of that requires a mindless exercise of the impeachment power without giving due consideration to whether the exercise of that power in a particular situation would be meaningless, a waste of time, money, and political capital, and therefore also be harmful to the United States?

The U.S. Constitution is not a set of parking regulations to be mindlessly enforced by a bunch of overpaid meter maids.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2023, 03:48:00 pm »
GOP, govern.

Start legislating solutions to our country's problems, or we'll elect someone else to do it in 2 years.

Exactly.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2023, 03:49:53 pm »
You mean like the part to focus on protecting the border instead of impeaching a dolting drooling old man?

To me that more meets the criteria than kicking Pedo Joe to the Curb (which won't happen anyway without 67 senate votes for conviction)

No! I mean the part that says "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;... 

I don't see anything about unless the senate refuses to convict there!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2023, 03:52:11 pm »
No! I mean the part that says "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;... 

Where does it say that the oath-taker will mindlessly exercise the impeachment power without giving due regard to whether such exercise will itself be damaging to the United States?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2023, 03:53:40 pm »

You mean the same logic that should be used to prosecute, convict, and sentence the Trump Gang for Sedition.

Pendulums swing both ways.  Psychopathic, nihilistic hypocrites only choose to see when the pendulum swings to their favor.  What you do unto others, they can do unto you.  Payback and Karma are both bitches, as McCarthy is showing the Dems with committee assignments.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:59:44 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2023, 03:59:35 pm »
Where does it say that the oath-taker will mindlessly exercise the impeachment power without giving due regard to whether such exercise will itself be damaging to the United States?

It says exactly what it says, in plain English, and nothing more or less!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2023, 04:01:12 pm »
So, Biden gets impeached.  Will President Kamal Harris be any better for America?  She'd certainly be better for America's enemies.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2023, 04:01:47 pm »
You mean the same logic that should be used to prosecute, convict, and sentence the Trump Gang for Sedition.

Pendulums swing both ways.  Psychopathic, nihilistic hypocrites only choose to see when the pendulum swings to their favor.  What you do unto others, they can do unto you.  Payback and Karma are both bitches, as McCarthy is showing the Dems with committee assignments.

WTF are you talking about??? I have NO clue.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2023, 04:02:30 pm »
Impeachment is a political remedy, not a legal one. It has failed every time it has been used against a President (even with Richard Nixon, who resigned before he could be impeached, and whose conviction would still have been far from certain after a hypothetical Senate trial).

Republicans had better spend their time proposing solutions to our national problems, advancing legislation even if Biden is certain to veto it. They need a positive agenda, not merely a record of opposition.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2023, 04:03:08 pm »
GOP, govern.

Legislation is what got us into this mess

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2023, 04:03:39 pm »
It says exactly what it says, in plain English, and nothing more or less!

No, actually, it does not.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2023, 04:03:42 pm »

How can this be damaging to the US by impeaching a sitting President who has committed crimes against the US!

I can't believe most of you agree with the spineless Repubs in the Senate....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2023, 04:04:32 pm »
Impeachment is a political remedy, not a legal one. It has failed every time it has been used against a President (even with Richard Nixon, who resigned before he could be impeached, and whose conviction would still have been far from certain after a hypothetical Senate trial).

Republicans had better spend their time proposing solutions to our national problems, advancing legislation even if Biden is certain to veto it. They need a positive agenda, not merely a record of opposition.

I fully understand that sentiment and vehemently disagree with it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien