Author Topic: Economic barometer warns that a US recession could come soon  (Read 440 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Economic barometer warns that a US recession could come soon
« on: January 24, 2023, 06:34:23 pm »
 Economic barometer warns that a US recession could come soon
By Alicia Wallace, CNN
Updated 11:29 AM EST, Mon January 23, 2023

Minneapolis CNN  —

A key barometer for the health of the economy continues to flash a recession warning sign, indicating a downturn is in store for the US in the near future. A growing number of business leaders agree the US economy is getting worse.

America is not in an official recession — not yet, anyway — but the Conference Board’s Leading Economic Index declined for the 10th consecutive month, falling in December by 1% to 110.5, according to a report released Monday by the business think tank. Economists were expecting a decline of 0.7%, according to Refinitiv.

On average, the index peaks about a year ahead of a recession, according to the Conference Board. The index appears to have peaked in February 2022, the Conference Board noted.

“There was widespread weakness among leading indicators in December, indicating deteriorating conditions for labor markets, manufacturing, housing construction, and financial markets in the months ahead,” Ataman Ozyildirim, the Conference Board’s senior director of economics, said in a statement.

Seven of the index’s 10 components declined in December, and the trajectory of the LEI continues to signal a recession, according to the report.

more
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/23/economy/leading-economic-indicators-january/index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DB

Re: Economic barometer warns that a US recession could come soon
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 06:41:13 pm »
So what is the new definition of "recession"? It used to be two quarters with negative growth. That already happened awhile back.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:45:44 pm »
So what is the new definition of "recession"? It used to be two quarters with negative growth. That already happened awhile back.

You mean you missed Kareeeeen JEeeeeeeeean Pierrie's blink patterns that are disguised as Jedi mind tricks?   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 07:20:34 pm »

Fun with numbers! Episode 34567.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 07:29:18 pm »
Economic Barometer? I think we are approaching this setting