Author Topic: First AFRICOM airstrike of the year kills 30 al-Shabab militants  (Read 222 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
First AFRICOM airstrike of the year kills 30 al-Shabab militants
By Zamone Perez
 Jan 23, 04:32 PM

A Somali soldier patrols next to the burnt-out wreckage of a car that was used by suspected al-Shabab fighters on April 16, 2017. (Mohamed Abdiwahab/AFP via Getty Images)
U.S. Africa Command conducted its first airstrike of the year in Somalia on Friday, after an uptick in the number of total airstrikes was recorded last year.

The Somali National Army was engaged in intense fighting against al-Shabab militants more than 160 miles northeast of the capital city of Mogadishu on Jan. 20, according to a statement from AFRICOM. Between ground forces and the U.S. strike, an estimated 30 al-Shabab fighters were killed and three vehicles destroyed.

“Somalia remains central to stability and security in all of East Africa,” a statement from AFRICOM said. “U.S. Africa Command’s forces will continue training, advising, and equipping partner forces to help give them the tools they need to defeat al-Shabaab, the largest and most deadly al-Qaeda network in the world.”

According to the statement, more than 100 al-Shabab fighters were a part of the attack on the Somali National Army.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2023/01/23/first-africom-airstrike-of-the-year-kills-30-al-shabab-militants/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: First AFRICOM airstrike of the year kills 30 al-Shabab militants
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 06:16:37 pm »
In the meantime, al-Shabab has probably murdered 30,000 people.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson