Author Topic: Twenty years ago US and Mexican bishops called for immigration reform. It still hasn't happened.  (Read 209 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Twenty years ago US and Mexican bishops called for immigration reform. It still hasn't happened.

BY J. KEVIN APPLEBY

On Jan. 22, 2003, the U.S. and Mexican bishops issued a historic pastoral letter on migration. Titled "Strangers No Longer: Together on the Journey of Hope," the letter responded to the "signs of the times" — increased levels of immigration from Mexico and Central America to the United States.

The letter, the first of its kind between two episcopal conferences, called for a major overhaul of the U.S. and Mexican immigration systems. Among the letter's policy recommendations was the adoption, in both countries, of a path to citizenship for the undocumented.

Twenty years later, reform of the U.S. immigration system remains stalled in Congress, despite ongoing pleas from advocates and a Democratic administration. And it is unlikely to happen anytime soon, as the divide between Democrats and Republicans on the issue has only widened.

Why the lack of progress? There are a multitude of reasons which can be summed up in one term: political will. For various reasons, an insufficient number of our elected officials have shown the leadership and statesmanship to get such a controversial issue across the finish line.

https://www.ncronline.org/opinion/guest-voices/twenty-years-ago-us-and-mexican-bishops-called-immigration-reform-it-still
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In another 20 years the situation will not have changed. :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It hasn't changed since the enforcement provisions of the Immigration Reform Act of 1986/1987 were ignored 35 years ago.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.