Author Topic: House Republicans delay action on immigration bill as cracks form in GOP  (Read 383 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
House Republicans delay action on immigration bill as cracks form in GOP
by Cami Mondeaux, Breaking News Reporter |
 January 23, 2023 08:50 AM

House Republicans will delay action on a border security bill after some centrist members of the party voiced concerns about the scope of the legislation.

Republicans initially sought to bring H.R. 29 to the floor for a vote sometime this week, following through with a pledge from House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) to usher in tougher immigration policies quickly. However, the legislation was met with some backlash from centrist lawmakers who argued the bill’s language would threaten the United States’s practice of providing asylum.

The bill, introduced by Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX), seeks to control the surge of immigration at the southern border further by giving the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security control to bar autonomously immigrants from coming into the country at any point of entry as a way to “achieve operational control” over the border. Under the legislation, that decision could be made whenever the secretary determines at their own discretion.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/house-republicans-delay-action-on-immigration-bill
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: House Republicans delay action on immigration bill as cracks form in GOP
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 05:13:26 pm »
Did anyone actually believe republicans would do any more than commiecrats on immigration?  There isn't a snowball's chance in hell they'll do any more.  Both parties need the issue to convince their particular constituents they are doing something for them.  They both use immigration.as a smoke and mirrors show. :im waiting:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 05:13:51 pm »
Is this the asylum those centrists are talking about?

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 05:20:41 pm »
Did anyone actually believe republicans would do any more than commiecrats on immigration?  There isn't a snowball's chance in hell they'll do any more.  Both parties need the issue to convince their particular constituents they are doing something for them.  They both use immigration.as a smoke and mirrors show. :im waiting:

Blaming "the Republicans" as a group isn't fair.  Most of them want a much tougher border, but with this small a margin, just a few centrists can scuttle it.

As I said during the Speaker battle, once the Speaker was elected and we got to the actual business of the House, the balance of power swung from the Freedom Caucus to the moderates.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 05:43:02 pm »
The Chamber of Commerce is calling in markers.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 06:38:01 pm »
Blaming "the Republicans" as a group isn't fair.  Most of them want a much tougher border, but with this small a margin, just a few centrists can scuttle it.

As I said during the Speaker battle, once the Speaker was elected and we got to the actual business of the House, the balance of power swung from the Freedom Caucus to the moderates.

I perfectly understand your point.  However, the Republicans were able to turn what should have been a route in the midterms into a marginal win.  This, in turn, kept the commiecrats more of a mover and shaker than they should be.  I don't believe the Republican leaders worked as hard as they should have to add 5 -10 more seats and really taken control.  I am not convinced the leadership likes leading, ala Nazi Pelosi and Chuckie Schumer.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 06:41:22 pm »
I perfectly understand your point.  However, the Republicans were able to turn what should have been a route in the midterms into a marginal win.  This, in turn, kept the commiecrats more of a mover and shaker than they should be.  I don't believe the Republican leaders worked as hard as they should have to add 5 -10 more seats and really taken control.  I am not convinced the leadership likes leading, ala Nazi Pelosi and Chuckie Schumer.

:yowsa: McConnell and company only want to lead if they are leading those hand-picked by themselves. All others need not apply.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien