Author Topic: Claim: Solar Powered Refrigerators would Solve African Food Waste  (Read 174 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Claim: Solar Powered Refrigerators would Solve African Food Waste
1 day ago Eric Worrall 83 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

If only people like International Environment and Resource Policy Post Doc Abay Yimere talked to the engineering department before discussing technology solutions.

Installing solar-powered refrigerators in developing countries is an effective way to reduce hunger and slow climate change

Published: January 20, 2023 12.36am AEDT

Abay Yimere
Postdoctoral Scholar in International Environment and Resource Policy, Tufts University

Food loss and waste are major problems around the world. When food is tossed aside or allowed to spoil, it makes economies less productive and leaves people hungry.

It also harms Earth’s climate by generating methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Food loss and waste accounts for 4% of global greenhouse gas emissions. If food waste were a country, it would be the third-largest emitter in the world, ahead of India and behind only China and the U.S.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/22/claim-solar-powered-refrigerators-in-africa-will-solve-food-waste/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Claim: Solar Powered Refrigerators would Solve African Food Waste
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 04:19:09 pm »
Do they have supermarkets in the Kalahari? :whistle:  The real problem, though, is that would be "cultural appropriation," a real no no to liberals. wink777
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 04:20:06 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Claim: Solar Powered Refrigerators would Solve African Food Waste
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 04:21:50 pm »
How much food is actually wasted in Africa?