Author Topic: Puncture of Critical EV Part Triggers 'Thermal Runaway' - 20,000 Gallons of Water Needed to Bring It  (Read 211 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Puncture of Critical EV Part Triggers 'Thermal Runaway' - 20,000 Gallons of Water Needed to Bring It Under Control

By Elizabeth Stauffer
  January 21, 2023 at 4:37pm
The Wakefield Fire Department and Massachusetts State Police responded to a one-car accident on Interstate 95 in Wakefield on Thursday night.

When they arrived at the scene, they saw a Tesla “wedged onto the guardrail in the right breakdown lane,” according to a WFD news release.

The driver had been able to exit the vehicle and declined medical attention. But as workers tried to remove the car from the highway, “the guardrail pieced the undercarriage, causing the lithium-ion batteries to go into a thermal runaway,” the statement said.

The car burst into flames.

Engines from five nearby towns were called to assist. In the end, it took firefighters over two and a half hours and over 20,000 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze.

https://www.westernjournal.com/puncture-critical-ev-part-triggers-thermal-runaway-20000-gallons-water-needed-bring-control/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:56:20 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Does anyone know how many gallons of water, on average, are used on typical house fires? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson