Author Topic: Claim: 90% of Verra Carbon Credits are worthless “Phantom Credits”  (Read 219 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Claim: 90% of Verra Carbon Credits are worthless “Phantom Credits”
18 hours ago Eric Worrall 50 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

The Guardian has accused Verra Carbon, which sells credits to climate champions like Disney, Shell and Gucci, of not being worth the paper they are printed on.

Investigation into Verra carbon standard finds most are ‘phantom credits’ and may worsen global heating

Patrick Greenfield
@pgreenfielduk Thu 19 Jan 2023 01.00 AEDT

The forest carbon offsets approved by the world’s leading provider and used by Disney, Shell, Gucci and other big corporations are largely worthless and could make global heating worse, according to a new investigation.

The research into Verra, the world’s leading carbon standard for the rapidly growing $2bn (£1.6bn) voluntary offsets market, has found that, based on analysis of a significant percentage of the projects, more than 90% of their rainforest offset credits – among the most commonly used by companies – are likely to be “phantom credits” and do not represent genuine carbon reductions.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/21/claim-90-of-verra-carbon-credits-are-worthless-phantom-credits/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson