Author Topic: UK to Ban Plastic Spoons  (Read 377 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
UK to Ban Plastic Spoons
« on: January 21, 2023, 03:05:50 pm »

UK to Ban Plastic Spoons
8 hours ago Kip Hansen 42 Comments
News Brief & Commentary by Kip Hansen — 21 January 2022

This coming October, the UK intends to “ban several single-use plastic items, including cutlery and plates”.

“The European Union approved a ban on single-use plastic items in 2018, which went into effect three years later.[2021] England’s neighbors, Scotland and Wales, each banned a similar list of items last year.”

“Rebecca Pow, an environment minister, said in a statement, “Plastic is a scourge which blights our streets and beautiful countryside, and I am determined that we shift away from a single-use culture.””

“Steve Hynd, policy manager at City to Sea, an environmental organization based in Bristol, said the ban was welcomed but “these are very much minimum agreed standards.”

“The ban will help England catch up with other countries that already implemented similar bans years ago,” he said. “But for England to be true ‘global leaders’ in tackling plastic pollution like this government claims to be, we need them to go much further.””

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/20/uk-to-ban-plastic-spoons/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: UK to Ban Plastic Spoons
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 03:07:38 pm »
 :facepalm2:

The problem is governments seek some quick fix which usually does little but is used as propaganda.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 03:40:32 pm »
“Rebecca Pow, an environment minister, said in a statement, “Plastic is a scourge which blights our streets and beautiful countryside, and I am determined that we shift away from a single-use culture.””

Then stop littering.  And either recycle your plastic or bury it, keeping that carbon locked up underground for the next thousand years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 04:34:01 pm »
Here's a crazy thought, if people in the UK are incapable of disposing/recycling plastic cutlery properly why not just force them to pay up for biodegradable ones? I mean isn't that the proper fascist way to deal with the problem?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 05:11:38 pm »
 ////00000////

Does the UK ban also include diapers and maxi-pads? ... speaking of single-use plastic products.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 05:21:33 pm »
why not just force them to pay up for biodegradable ones? I mean isn't that the proper fascist way to deal with the problem?

Yes, let's force them to use biodegradable spoons.  That way, instead of locking up that carbon in a landfill for the next thousand years, we will push for a method that returns that carbon to the atmosphere as quickly as possible.

Idiots.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 05:24:51 pm »
Fork 'em.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis