Author Topic: Lake Powell Water Level Projections Revealed in Report  (Read 168 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lake Powell Water Level Projections Revealed in Report
« on: January 21, 2023, 11:41:52 am »
Lake Powell Water Level Projections Revealed in Report
Story by Robyn White • Yesterday 10:08 A.M.

Lake Powell's water-level projections have been revealed in a report from the Bureau of Reclamation. The reservoir—which sits on the Colorado River in Utah and Arizona—is one of many impacted by the ongoing megadrought gripping the Western U.S.

The lake's water level has been falling for about 10 years. In March 2022, it fell below a critical level of 3,525 feet above sea level—the lake's target elevation. As of Wednesday, the water level was 3,524.22 feet.

The lake is set to reach its lowest point this year in April, dropping to 3,519.01 feet, according to a study released Thursday by the Bureau of Reclamation. The projections said that the water level should fluctuate throughout the year. By the end of 2023, the Bureau projects that the level will be 3543.40 feet. Just five years ago, it was 3,622 feet.

Lake Powell is formed by the Glen Canyon Dam, which generates hydroelectric power for millions of homes. The reservoir is also an integral source of water for millions.

But if the lake's water level were to reach 3,370 feet, it would be at dead pool, which is when the water level drops so low that the water can no longer turn the dam's turbines. That would stop it from producing power.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lake-powell-water-level-projections-revealed-in-report/ar-AA16yVZl?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7a4b1f1c7d9e49bd9abd8ee2586127a7
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson