Author Topic: Environmental rules stoke anger as California lets precious stormwater wash out to sea  (Read 142 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Environmental rules stoke anger as California lets precious stormwater wash out to sea
Story by Hayley Smith • Yesterday 7:00 AM

Environmental rules designed to protect imperiled fish in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta have ignited anger among a group of bipartisan lawmakers, who say too much of California's stormwater is being washed out to sea instead of being pumped to reservoirs and aqueducts.

In a series of strongly worded letters, nearly a dozen legislators — many from drought-starved agriculture regions of the Central Valley —have implored state and federal officials to relax environmental pumping restrictions that are limiting the amount of water captured from the delta.

"When Mother Nature blesses us with rain, we need to save the water, instead of dumping it into the ocean," Assemblymember Vince Fong (R-Bakersfield) wrote in a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Since the beginning of January, a series of atmospheric rivers has disgorged trillions of gallons of much-needed moisture across drought-stricken California, but only a small fraction of that water has so far made it into storage. In the delta — the heart of the state's vast water system — nearly 95% of incoming water has flowed into the Pacific Ocean, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/environmental-rules-stoke-anger-as-california-lets-precious-stormwater-wash-out-to-sea/ar-AA16yw8l?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7a4b1f1c7d9e49bd9abd8ee2586127a7
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson