Author Topic: Project Mayhem, the Air Force's Secret Hypersonic Bomber, Has Begun Cooking  (Read 119 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Project Mayhem, the Air Force's Secret Hypersonic Bomber, Has Begun Cooking
Story by Darren Orf • Yesterday 10:24 AM

Project Mayhem, the Air Force’s secret hypersonic bomber, would be an air-breathing Mach 10 replacement for the SR-71.

The U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory recently awarded a $334 million contract to several engineering companies, including Draper, to oversee the designs, prototypes and tests of Project Mayhem.

At hypersonic speeds, heat makes building and testing hypersonic planes tricky business.
The engineering of next-gen weapons and defense systems is a science built around speed. In 2018, Russia made headlines when President Vladimir Putin revealed the country’s hypersonic missile system, the Kh-47M2 Kinzhal, in a sizzle reel video showing the missile blowing up Florida, of all places. Although the video wasn’t quite as sleek as a new iPhone reveal, the message was apocalyptically clear: the era of hypersonic weapons was here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/project-mayhem-the-air-force-s-secret-hypersonic-bomber-has-begun-cooking/ar-AA16zdML?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7a4b1f1c7d9e49bd9abd8ee2586127a7
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:27:15 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson