Author Topic: Handful of House Republicans are iffy about Mayorkas impeachment—and McCarthy can't afford a handful  (Read 136 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Handful of House Republicans are iffy about Mayorkas impeachment—and McCarthy can't afford a handful

Gabe Ortiz
Daily Kos Staff
2023/01/19 · 12:11

It’s no secret that U.S. border officials and agents have been openly hostile toward changes implemented under the Biden administration, and openly hostile toward the administration itself. The Border Patrol’s union, after all, twice endorsed the insurrectionist president. It had previously never made a presidential endorsement before. When border officials want an alarmist talking points printed verbatim, they know exactly which right-wing stenographers to go to. In November, Customs and Border Protection’s commissioner was forced out. He’d attempted numerous reforms, faced internal blowback, and paid for it with his job.

That hostility may now become a tool in the House GOP’s impeachment efforts against Department of Homeland Sec. Alejandro Mayorkas. House Oversight chair James Comer has invited four border officials to testify in a hearing set for the week of Feb. 6. We know Comer is a very serious person, stomping his loafers when reporters asked questions of substance instead of questions about Hunter Biden.

CNN reports these House hearings “could serve as a prelude to an impeachment inquiry against Mayorkas,” a threat that Republicans had used as a campaigning tool leading up to the midterms. Now they have to come up with the reasoning, and what Texas Republican Pat Fallon outlined in his impeachment articles is tomfoolery. In just one example, Fallon cites the Biden administration’s termination of the Remain in Mexico program, an anti-asylum policy that the right-wing Supreme Court already said the administration was within its authority to end.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/1/19/2148051/-Handful-of-House-Republicans-are-iffy-about-Mayorkas-impeachment-and-McCarthy-can-t-afford-a-handful
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson