Author Topic: STATEMENT OF THE COURT CONCERNING THE LEAK INVESTIGATION  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: STATEMENT OF THE COURT CONCERNING THE LEAK INVESTIGATION
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 01:22:39 am »
Maj. Martin wrote:
"In other words, even if one or more people failed the lie detector test, it still wouldn't be enough to "prove" who did it."

But... it would "narrow the field" considerably.
Probably down to a small handful of "possibilities", for further investigation.

Are not polygraphs used in other branches of government, the NSA, CIA, etc. ...?
If so, to what end...?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 04:30:53 am »
Maj. Martin wrote:
"In other words, even if one or more people failed the lie detector test, it still wouldn't be enough to "prove" who did it."

But... it would "narrow the field" considerably.
Probably down to a small handful of "possibilities", for further investigation.

If you read the statement on the investigation, they did narrow it down.  They said they conducted "multiple additional interviews" on "certain employees".  It also mentions that they did forensic analysis of computers, examined cell phone records, etc..

Are not polygraphs used in other branches of government, the NSA, CIA, etc. ...?
If so, to what end...?

Security clearances.  But not criminal prosecutions or even terminations of employment.

You have to realize that given that this is the Supreme Court, they are much more bound by legalities, burdens of proof, etc , than would be literally any other part of the government.  And unless they have enough evidence to prove that one particular person did it, they are stuck.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2023, 04:34:54 am »
:yowsa: But no more so than refusing to hear cases in which they have ORIGINAL Jurisdiction!
:yowsa: pointing-up THIS!!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2023, 04:03:51 pm »
:yowsa: pointing-up THIS!!

SCOTUS can't possibly hear on the merits every case in which they have original jurisdiction.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2023, 08:43:00 pm »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2023, 08:58:12 pm »

Wouldn't doubt it in the least.  She'd definitely be near the top of any list of suspects.  Unfortunately, that doesn't constitute actual poof by a preponderance of evidence.

Like I said, if she just took pictures of her computer screen with her phone - or even better, a burner phone - there's pretty much no way to prove it.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Re: S TATEMENT OF THE COURT CONCERNING THE LEAK INVESTIGATION
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2023, 11:16:55 pm »
If that is true, there is not one thing secure in that building despite any claims to the contrary.

Correct.  The Court has always operated on sort of an honor system based on collegiality, which is a big reason why this leak is considered a big deal.  I don't know how they can go back to that now unless they're willing for it to continue happening.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 02:18:51 am »
Correct.  The Court has always operated on sort of an honor system based on collegiality, which is a big reason why this leak is considered a big deal.  I don't know how they can go back to that now unless they're willing for it to continue happening.

:thumbsup:

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2023, 02:55:18 am »
I have no doubt in my mind that John Roberts and probably the other justices know who the leaker is. Roberts sees more harm than good coming to the court by exposing the culprit, and he is probably right. I predicted long ago we would never know who the leaker is.  That is the way the establishment operates.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2023, 03:14:36 am »
I have no doubt in my mind that John Roberts and probably the other justices know who the leaker is. Roberts sees more harm than good coming to the court by exposing the culprit, and he is probably right. I predicted long ago we would never know who the leaker is.  That is the way the establishment operates.

:yowsa:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2023, 04:27:24 am »
I have no doubt in my mind that John Roberts and probably the other justices know who the leaker is.

How do you believe they found out?

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2023, 06:52:21 pm »
How do you believe they found out?

They did not "find out." They know because they know their colleagues. Having been a college professor for most of my career, I know how collegiality works, and I know how institutions operate. The only thing Roberts was investigating was whether the culprit was a justice or not. The fact that the investigation is closed without a scapegoat tells me with 100 percent certainty that the leaker was a justice.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2023, 10:02:14 am »
They did not "find out." They know because they know their colleagues. Having been a college professor for most of my career, I know how collegiality works, and I know how institutions operate. The only thing Roberts was investigating was whether the culprit was a justice or not. The fact that the investigation is closed without a scapegoat tells me with 100 percent certainty that the leaker was a justice.

:thumbsup:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2023, 01:05:01 pm »
The fact that the investigation is closed without a scapegoat tells me with 100 percent certainty that the leaker was a justice.

A "scapegoat"?  That usually refers to someone who is blamed for something they didn't do.

So you think Roberts would have just picked some random clerk and blamed them if he knew it wasn't a justice?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:21:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2023, 01:29:21 pm »
A "scapegoat"?  That usually refers to someone who is blamed for something they didn't do.

So you think Roberts would have just picked some random clerk and blamed them if he knew it wasn't a justice.

Obviously, not, or he would have done it. Others in his place may have.

But not a random clerk. Typically, there is some underling who did something wrong and you can blame the whole thing on that person.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2023, 02:25:19 pm »
Obviously, not, or he would have done it. Others in his place may have.

But not a random clerk. Typically, there is some underling who did something wrong and you can blame the whole thing on that person.

The problem with that is that these people aren't your usual "underlings".  Supreme Court clerkships are the most competitive jobs in the entire legal industry.  Every single one of them is going to be smart as hell, more than well enough aware of their legal rights and options, and would have access to massive amounts of free representation from some of the best lawyers in the country.  Some of them began lawyering up as soon as they were asked to turn over cell phone records

This is an accusation that would massively derail someone's career and may even lead to disbarment.  A defamation claim coming from one of them would be expensive, and a massive black eye for the Supreme Court if they were unable to prove the accusation.

Trying to railroad one of them would blow up right in the face of whomever tried it.  That's why it is important that the statement specifically mentioned that they could not "by a preponderance of the evidence" confirm who did it.  They may strongly suspect, but if they don't have the objective facts to prove it, they can't do anything about it without creating a much worse problem.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 02:47:05 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2023, 04:16:10 pm »
The problem with that is that these people aren't your usual "underlings".  Supreme Court clerkships are the most competitive jobs in the entire legal industry.  Every single one of them is going to be smart as hell, more than well enough aware of their legal rights and options, and would have access to massive amounts of free representation from some of the best lawyers in the country.  Some of them began lawyering up as soon as they were asked to turn over cell phone records

This is an accusation that would massively derail someone's career and may even lead to disbarment.  A defamation claim coming from one of them would be expensive, and a massive black eye for the Supreme Court if they were unable to prove the accusation.

Trying to railroad one of them would blow up right in the face of whomever tried it.  That's why it is important that the statement specifically mentioned that they could not "by a preponderance of the evidence" confirm who did it.  They may strongly suspect, but if they don't have the objective facts to prove it, they can't do anything about it without creating a much worse problem.

There is nothing here I disagree with.