Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy Introduces “Fair Tax” Which Would Abolish Federal Income Tax  (Read 3186 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kevin McCarthy Introduces “Fair Tax” Which Would Abolish Federal Income Tax
By Collin Rugg January 19, 2023

Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy is preparing to have the House vote on his new “Fair Tax” which would abolish the current federal income tax and replace it with a national sales tax.

“To become speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy reportedly promised a floor vote on the Fair Tax Act,” the National Review reported. “The bill would replace the existing income, payroll, and corporate taxes with a new national sales tax. The bill says the sales-tax rate will be 23 percent. What it means is that a product that costs $100 without the tax will cost $130. (The $30 in taxes is 23 percent of the total price of $130.) Most people will think of that as a 30 percent tax.”

The proposal would give relief to many Americans who are tired of seeing their hard earned money disappear from their paychecks.

Not all Republicans are on board with the plan.

“This is a political gift to Biden and the Democrats,” said Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform (ATR), a taxpayer advocacy group. “I think that this is the first significant problem created for the Republican Party by the 20 people who thought that there was no downside to the approach they took.”

more
https://trendingpoliticsnews.com/kevin-mccarthy-introduces-fair-tax-which-would-abolish-federal-income-tax/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It won't go anywhere and everyone knows that, but I guess it deserves a couple of points for being put out there for the public to see.

Who knows, the idea may catch fire from it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

A national sales tax, WTF?

The last thing Americans want is giving the Federal Government even more taxation powers.

Just lower the damned payroll taxes.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

The last thing Americans want is giving the Federal Government even more taxation powers.

A national retail sales tax has been a constant bogey-man for the past several decades.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

A national sales tax is an incremental step towards a European-style Value-Added-Tax (VAT).

Reduce the payroll income tax.  Reduce Federal spending.  Stop wasting time creating new schemes to bestow even more power unto the SWAMP.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

A national sales tax is an incremental step towards a European-style Value-Added-Tax (VAT).

Reduce the payroll income tax.  Reduce Federal spending.  Stop wasting time creating new schemes to bestow even more power unto the SWAMP.

Absolutely.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

The FairTax, if enacted, would very greatly REDUCE the taxing powers of the federal government not expand them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

The FairTax is no such thing! In fact, it would get rid of the VAT we already have called the Corporate Income Tax.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:47:11 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

The FairTax, if enacted, would very greatly REDUCE the taxing powers of the federal government not expand them!

:amen:

The govt would not be able to determine what can be deducted and how much can be deducted from your income tax liability. Everyone would pay tax on their purchases.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Kamaji

Has anyone ever sat through a state sales and use tax audit?  Has anyone tried to work out how a particular state's sales tax applies to a particular set of facts?  Has anyone ever tried to work out how a particular exemption from sales tax, stated in general terms, applies to their particular set of facts?  Has anyone tried to make sense of what services a state does, and does not, subject to sales tax?

Now multiply the amount of work, intrusiveness of the audit, and time spent dealing with sales tax matters by several orders of magnitude, and one can begin to get a sense of what a national retail sales tax would entail.

On top of which, the amount of fraud would be substantial.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Has anyone ever sat through a state sales and use tax audit?  Has anyone tried to work out how a particular state's sales tax applies to a particular set of facts?  Has anyone ever tried to work out how a particular exemption from sales tax, stated in general terms, applies to their particular set of facts?  Has anyone tried to make sense of what services a state does, and does not, subject to sales tax?

Now multiply the amount of work, intrusiveness of the audit, and time spent dealing with sales tax matters by several orders of magnitude, and one can begin to get a sense of what a national retail sales tax would entail.

On top of which, the amount of fraud would be substantial.

BS! Texas has no such problems!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

Kevin McCarthy Introduces “Fair Tax” Which Would Abolish enhance Federal Income Tax

There, fixed it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
There, fixed it.

No! You did not fix it. How do you enhance something that no longer exists?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:08:39 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

No! You did not fix it. How do you enhance something that no longer exists?

Does Amendment XVI still exist?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Does Amendment XVI still exist?

Nope! Not for long anyway even though that has nothing to do with an income tax on wages.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

Repeal the 16th Amendment first.  Then we can talk.  But as long as the 16th Amendment remains in place, I don't trust the government one iota when it comes to implementing both taxes.  (See:  Herman Cain 9-9-9 plan)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I hear ya.....

But a mid March to mid April witout jacking with Schedule Alphabet, Form-XXX, and 200-300 pges of records every year does have some appeal.  :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Odd how resistant people can be in refusing even simple principals.  For DECADES now, when politicians speak of 'fair' unfair rape follows shortly thereafter.   Lots of mega legislation gets passed but you have to let it get passed to find out hw raped yer gonna get.  Move beyond child level politics and move up to the adult level!
 ****slapping
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Odd how resistant people can be in refusing even simple principals.  For DECADES now, when politicians speak of 'fair', unfair rape follows shortly thereafter.   Lots of mega legislation gets passed but you have to let it get passed to find out how raped yer gonna get.  Move beyond child level politics and move up to the adult level!
 ****slapping
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:44:27 am by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Nope! Not for long anyway even though that has nothing to do with an income tax on wages.
I don't consider wages "income" anyway. It is an exchange of skill and labor for fun tickets, value for value, ideally speaking.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I doubt anyone here will argue that the current Federal Income Tax Program is fair.  I know too many folks that make high incomes and pay little to no taxes.  One architect who made a six figure income most of his life and never paid a dime, never filed a single return with the IRS.  NOT ONE!!!

I know a woman that makes in cash the same amount of money as my wife, close to 90,000 in cash, claims an income under $9,000, is on Obamacare, lives in a $1 million dollar home, tools around in a new BMW, while we pay tens of thousands in income tax, $500 per month in premium for healthcare, and drive two cheap cars, neither new.

The time has come for Congress to make the taxing of Americans more fair.  I support a fair tax 100% if it means the elimination of the Federal Income Tax.  23% is a bit abusive.  I have always liked Herman Cain's approach to leveling taxes.  Whether it is 9 - 9 -9 or 10 - 10 - 10 or whatever, I prefer that concept over anything else.  And I believe we need to end the IRS in its  current form.  Too abusive an organization, which can readily become political, as we have witnessed in the past.

But more important than anything are two primary things Congress must do..

1.  TERM LIMITS

2.  Mandatory balanced budget, only exception during times of declared war by Congress.  We have not had a declared war since 1941.  Also mandatory as long as we have national debt is the mandatory requirement for a plan to wipe out the debt.  MANDATORY!!!

Make these self serving elected pukes in Washington do their damn job!!!  They haven't been doing it for 50 years!!!

:yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It's a common European system. They call it VAT (Value Added Tax).
The best part is everybody pays, no matter how wealthy. And the tax is included in the price. If the stickers says $5, then you pay $5. Unlike the American system today in which the sticker price has no relevance to how much you will actually pay.

BTW: This confuses the hell out of foreigners who think it is insanity.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

I don't consider wages "income" anyway. It is an exchange of skill and labor for fun tickets, value for value, ideally speaking.

:mauslaff:

Offline EdinVA

Income tax is nothing more than a social engineering tool with no throttle.  The trick is, how do we replace/change it and avoid the same trap?

Offline Hoodat

Income tax is nothing more than a social engineering tool with no throttle.

It doesn't have to be.

The trick is, how do we replace/change it and avoid the same trap?

Make it a flat tax.  Everyone pays.  Everyone becomes vested.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-