Author Topic: Ancient Maya Cities And ‘Super Highways’ Revealed In Shocking Study  (Read 633 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

A team of researchers discovered a series of 3,000-year-old Mayan cities and highways in northern Guatemala, according to a study published in early December.

The high-tech study revealed at least 1,000 ancient Maya settlements, including more than 400 new cities that appear to have been linked by the world’s first known highway system, according to Reuters. The cities and infrastructure were previously hidden under dense jungles in northern Guatemala and southern Mexico, but have now been revealed through LiDAR data that allows researchers to see beneath the vegetation.

All of the newly discovered structures were built hundreds of years before the largest Maya states developed, Reuters noted. The study’s findings also included what appear to be “highways or superhighways” stretching for around 110 miles, the researchers noted.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/01/19/ancient-maya-cities-and-super-highways-revealed-in-shocking-study/
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Ancient Maya Cities And ‘Super Highways’ Revealed In Shocking Study
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 03:59:54 pm »
 :bkmk:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Re: Ancient Maya Cities And ‘Super Highways’ Revealed In Shocking Study
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 05:08:13 pm »
It's amazing what LIDAR can show.  It's not only things like lost cities under the jungle, but also long-disused footpaths and dirt roadways, as well as the outline of long-lost foundations in desert sand.