Author Topic: Man Leaves EV Charging for Entire Week, Comes Back to Find It Only Gained 8 Miles/Day of Range  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Man Leaves EV Charging for Entire Week, Comes Back to Find It Only Gained 8 Miles/Day of Range

By Elizabeth Stauffer
  January 18, 2023 at 5:55pm
The owner of an R1T, an electric truck manufactured by Rivian Automotive, Inc., wrote to electric vehicle website InsideEVs.com to share his experience, or rather his nightmare.

The Phoenix resident told InsideEvs he had left his truck plugged in for an entire week and found it had drawn only 32 kWh which means it only added 56 miles to its range. According to InsideEvs, “the vehicle had a 70 percent charging limit set, it was hooked up to a 240-volt 48-amp home charger, it had Gear Guard turned off, but it stayed connected to the WiFi network.”

This is known as “excessive drain” or “vampire drain,” the report said.

The owner contacted Rivian who recommended he bring the truck in for a service visit.

https://www.westernjournal.com/man-leaves-ev-charging-entire-week-comes-back-find-gained-8-miles-day-range/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 12:31:59 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Idiot

Man Leaves EV Charging for Entire Week, Comes Back to Find It Only Gained 8 Miles/Day of Range

By Elizabeth Stauffer
  January 18, 2023 at 5:55pm
The owner of an R1T, an electric truck manufactured by Rivian Automotive, Inc., wrote to electric vehicle website InsideEVs.com to share his experience, or rather his nightmare.

The Phoenix resident told InsideEvs he had left his truck plugged in for an entire week and found it had drawn only 32 kWh which means it only added 56 miles to its range. According to InsideEvs, “the vehicle had a 70 percent charging limit set, it was hooked up to a 240-volt 48-amp home charger, it had Gear Guard turned off, but it stayed connected to the WiFi network.”

This is known as “excessive drain” or “vampire drain,” the report said.

The owner contacted Rivian who recommended he bring the truck in for a service visit.

https://www.westernjournal.com/man-leaves-ev-charging-entire-week-comes-back-find-gained-8-miles-day-range/
A friend of mines brother bought one of these things.  I haven't heard yet what his experience is yet with it.