Author Topic: Rep. Gaetz introduces bill to abolish the ATF  (Read 272 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Rep. Gaetz introduces bill to abolish the ATF
« on: January 19, 2023, 12:06:11 am »
American Military News by Justin Cooper 1/18/2023

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) has introduced a bill to dissolve the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), declaring the agency’s recent move against stabilizing braces to be the “final straw.”

The bill to “abolish” the ATF was introduced on Tuesday and has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee, according to Congress.gov.

Gaetz said in a press release that House Republicans have the federal government’s top gun regulator “in our crosshairs.”

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/01/rep-gaetz-introduces-bill-to-abolish-the-atf/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Rep. Gaetz introduces bill to abolish the ATF
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 04:00:28 am »
It would be lovely to see some co-sponsors.

But even more essential is for the Congress to reclaim it's power to make law from the various and sundry agencies which are arbitrarily and capriciously forming 'rules' with the power of law.

Let's get back to the separation of powers and have the Congress write law, and the executive agencies simply enforce those laws which pass Constitutional muster.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 01:43:21 pm »
It would be lovely to see some co-sponsors.

But even more essential is for the Congress to reclaim it's power to make law from the various and sundry agencies which are arbitrarily and capriciously forming 'rules' with the power of law.

Let's get back to the separation of powers and have the Congress write law, and the executive agencies simply enforce those laws which pass Constitutional muster.

I agree that the growth of rulemaking agencies might be the single worst thing that has happened politically in our country.  Unfortunately, there is zero chance that will change during this Administration, and an almost-zero chance it will change in the future.  So I'd rather not see the House waste its time on something that has zero chance of passing.  Rather, we should be hopping on getting those appropriations bills drafted and passed so we don't end up with an omnibus because we couldn't get it done in time.

But the process should be that any rules written by agencies must be ratified by the normal legislative process before being effective.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 01:44:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 02:12:07 pm »
I've previously gone over my plan to eliminate 95% of the Federal Bureaucracy.

The ATF would be a good start, though my first choice would be the Dept.of Education.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.