Author Topic: Mitch McConnell Praises Thom Tillis as He Makes Bipartisan Deals, Promotes Him to Republican Leaders  (Read 575 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mitch McConnell Praises Thom Tillis as He Makes Bipartisan Deals, Promotes Him to Republican Leadership

Sean Moran 17 Jan 2023

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) promoted Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) to Republican leadership as the North Carolina senator has continued to strike deals with Democrats.

The Washington Post wrote a glowing piece on Tillis’s newfound status as a bipartisan dealmaker. Republicans and Democrats across the Senate praised his ability to strike compromises to pass legislation that would advance President Joe Biden’s priorities.

McConnell added Tillis as a counselor on his leadership team for the remainder of the 118th Congress.

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/1614972263429709825

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/17/mitch-mcconnell-praises-thom-tillis-makes-bipartisan-deals-promotes-him-republican-leadership/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Gotta have someone to take point on caving to the Left!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Stevensr123

To be fair, a sign of a functioning democracy is people working together for the country. You won’t get anywhere with an us vs them mentality 100% of the time.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
To be fair, a sign of a functioning democracy is people working together for the country. You won’t get anywhere with an us vs them mentality 100% of the time.
Tell it to the democrats, it all depends on what you're trying to get and while the democrats aren't interested in getting what's good for America they have been very successful with their us vs them mentality 100% of the time to get what they want.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Mitch: We need to do something! The American people want us to do something!

Conservative: Really? What do we need to do?

Mitch: Hop in that Democrat car drive it off the cliff!

Conservative: But we'll die.

Mitch: Yeah but we're doing something! Now get to back slapping and glad handing, we got a photo op in 5 minutes! We're bipartisan!
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

THIS is why we can't have nice things! Such as a functional REPUBLIC!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

THIS is why we can't have nice things! Such as a functional REPUBLIC!

The same basic insight applies to functional republics as to functional democracies.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The same basic insight applies to functional republics as to functional democracies.

Really? Please enlighten me?

Democracy = two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. (The Sheep is toast!)

Republic = Regardless of the outcome of that vote, the sheep remains protected from the wolves.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Really? Please enlighten me?

Democracy = two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. (The Sheep is toast!)

Republic = Regardless of the outcome of that vote, the sheep remains protected from the wolves.

Why would a "republic" eo nomine guarantee that the sheep remain protected from the wolves?  That does not follow logically, nor as a matter of history.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This isn't a Democracy, it's a Republic. With that in mind, I don't want wolves voting against sheep on the dinner menu, I want representation and the Rule of Law for all.
As for functioning, well, let's have a fair and uncorrupted election and counting of the legitimate ballots, and we'll see what is or isn't functioning.

The days of us all wanting the same thing but differing on how to get it ended with LBJ pushing the 'Great Society'. We don't even work from the same dictionary any more.

Pull up a second and take a look at what the Democrats do.
They come in with a wild-eyed wish list of insane demands and a full-on adversarial attitude.
Anything not on their list is considered "extreme right wing" and that's how their fellow travelers in the mainstream press present it.
IF there is some serious opposition to the Democrat agenda, when the dust settles, the Democrats have very vocally, amidst of all sorts of pejorative references to the Republicans, obtained all they really wanted, and sometimes more.

That 'Us vs. Them' mentality works for them.

It's time to fight fire with fire.
The Republicans need to not only study the tactics and strategies of their opponents, but to emulate those tactics where effective. There is an entire internet out there that would be ablaze with rally cries if the GOP would only provide some opposition--and while the internet has not always been a factor so much, the call for opposition has been echoing for the past 40 years.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:44:04 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Why would a "republic" eo nomine guarantee that the sheep remain protected from the wolves?  That does not follow logically, nor as a matter of history.

Because the Constitution protects the sheep from the wolves! At least theoretically. (If the sheep voluntarily surrenders to the wolves it's on him.)

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

No, a functioning American Republic is when it is so SNAFU'd that they can't get anything done. That means they ain't writing any new laws and ain't costing more money.