Author Topic: 'Going to Be a Knife Fight': Yellen Warns House GOP Against Blocking Debt Increase, Comer Fires Bac  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Again...what?

Yeah, I know, spineless and all that.  But how about telling me where I'm actually wrong.  Because otherwise, it's like you're just trying to avoid unpleasant truths.

The GOP has been trying these shutdowns as a way to bring pressure on the Democrats.  And we pretty much always lose in the end.  Why?  Because not every member of the GOP caucus is willing to accept public responsibility for shutting down the government and having the geezers not get their checks, etc.., for issues that aren't their priority.  And we've got one of the narrowest majorities in history, so that just makes it that much harder.

So tell me where I'm wrong.
Watching the GOP negotiate with the Democrats reminds me of someone who wants $5,000 for a car starting the deal by asking for $2,500 and thinking they're going to raise the price.

The Democrats who own the frigging media will twist things to make any attempt by the GOP to play hardball as the cause of the nation's problems, and the GOP will cave, just as it has repeatedly in the past. The last one to get a halfway decent deal was Newt. With a slim "majority" replete with built in defectors, it just isn't going to go well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis