Author Topic: At Least 80 Illinois County Sheriffs Will Refuse to Enforce State's New Gun Laws  (Read 1086 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
At Least 80 Illinois County Sheriffs Will Refuse to Enforce State's New Gun Laws
By Rick Moran 9:37 AM on January 15, 2023

At least 80 county sheriffs and prosecutors have vowed not to enforce the new Illinois gun control law that bans 170 kinds of semi-automatic rifles and places limits on ammunition magazines.

“The right to keep and bear arms for defense of life, liberty and property is regarded as an inalienable right by the people,” said Iroquois County Sheriff Clinton Perzee. “I, among many others, believe that [House Bill 5471] is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution,” he added.

Perzee said he would not use his jail to detain people solely for violating the new gun law.

“[N]either myself nor my office will be checking to ensure that lawful gun owners register their weapons with the State, nor will we be arresting or housing law abiding individuals that have been arrested solely with non-compliance of this Act,” Perzee said.

more
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2023/01/15/at-least-80-illinois-county-sheriffs-will-refuse-to-enforce-states-new-gun-laws-n1661912
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Dozens of Illinois sheriff's departments say they will not enforce a new state law banning assault weapons. The sheriffs say they believe the ban is unconstitutional.

Here's a thread of their statements.

https://twitter.com/JakeSheridan_/status/1614297883431370753
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Honoring one's oath of office has become so passe. Except in 80 Illinois Counties that is.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If liberal DA's can choose not to prosecute  crimes  that on the books then I don't see why IL Sheriffs are obligated to arrest citizens for an unjust law.  Equity and all you know.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
IIRC, the Governor can threaten until he turns blue in the face.

The Sheriffs are directly elected by the people of their respective counties, and I do not believe the Governor has the authority to fire them.

Besides, if he did, it would look like he was attempting to install his own police force accountable to him, and not the people, which reeks of the NKVD, KGB, Kempeitai, or CHEKA, which are not only bad optics, but cause for a recall/impeachment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis