Author Topic: Sweden finds Europe’s largest deposit of rare earth metals, which could become ‘more important than  (Read 408 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNBC by Jenni Reid 1/12/2023

Sweden finds Europe’s largest deposit of rare earth metals, which could become ‘more important than oil and gas’

Key Points

•   Swedish mining company LKAB discovered one million metric tons of rare earth oxides, which are used in electric vehicles and wind turbines.

•   CEO Jan Moström said it was good news for Europe, which imports 99% of its rare earth elements from China.

•   In 2022, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said rare earth elements would “soon be more important than oil and gas.”

State-owned Swedish mining company LKAB said it has found what it believes to be Europe’s largest known deposit of rare earth elements.

Located in Kiruna, in the far north of Sweden, the company said Thursday that the store contained more than one million metric tons of rare earth oxides.

These metals are used in the manufacture of electric cars and wind turbines, as well as magnets, glass screens, speakers and various other electronics.

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/13/sweden-mining-company-lkap-finds-big-deposit-of-rare-earth-metals.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Last year, Politico reported that Swedish locals living near potential sites and some campaigners were concerned about the potential impact of mining in the EU.

If you don't import the child miners from the Congo, it might be an economic shot-in-the-arm to the area, but it will make a bit of a mess, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I have taken a shine to rare earth magnets... not just to "hold your firearms", but I now have them all over my shop to hold tools galore... I use the dog out of 100lb magnets, they are just so handy... I have them on screen doors to hold them in position (open and shut)... That crappy kitchen timer with the weak magnets, well slap on a good magnet.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....