Author Topic: GOP has contingency plan as debt ceiling crisis looms  (Read 375 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP has contingency plan as debt ceiling crisis looms
« on: January 14, 2023, 02:58:21 pm »
Republicans craft contingency plan as possible debt ceiling crisis looms
by Ryan King, Breaking News Reporter
January 13, 2023 09:29 PM

Republicans in the House are reportedly crafting a contingency plan in the event negotiations fail on lifting the debt limit, which is projected to be hit next week.

In the proposal currently in the works, Republicans will outline how they believe the Treasury should prioritize payments if the debt limit is maxed out. They will likely place a high emphasis on Social Security, Medicare, and the military, sources told the Washington Post.

“The use of extraordinary measures enables the government to meet its obligations for only a limited amount of time. It is therefore critical that Congress act in a timely manner to increase or suspend the debt limit," Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen warned Friday.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/republicans-chart-out-backup-debt-ceiling-looms
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: GOP has contingency plan as debt ceiling crisis looms
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 03:40:45 pm »
I don’t know of many banks or credit card companies that will just raise your credit limit if you are spending too much and don’t or can’t pay your minimum balance. So why should the government be treated any different?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 05:44:29 pm »
I don’t know of many banks or credit card companies that will just raise your credit limit if you are spending too much and don’t or can’t pay your minimum balance. So why should the government be treated any different?

I know some banks that will cut you off entirely under those conditions. Lots of them.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 06:51:48 pm »
We currently have 30 trillion plus in our deficit. Interest alone on that debt @ 4% is 1.2 trillion per year.

I love Masie's plan 10% cut across the board. I imagine the social security recipients will not be agreeable, but change is coming whether we like it or not.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 01:58:22 pm »
We currently have 30 trillion plus in our deficit. Interest alone on that debt @ 4% is 1.2 trillion per year.

I love Masie's plan 10% cut across the board. I imagine the social security recipients will not be agreeable, but change is coming whether we like it or not.

What can they cut from Social Security? The government IOUs? Ha!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 02:03:34 pm »

For one thing, because the government is a sovereign entity, and therefore not subject to the rules applicable to private creditors and debtors.