Author Topic: DEBRA SAUNDERS: Voters Are About To Learn A Hard Lesson — The GOP Is A Paper Tiger  (Read 400 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Debra J. Saunders
Debra J. Saunders is a fellow at the Discovery Institute's Chapman Center for Citizen Leadership. Contact her at dsaunders@discovery.org.
January 13, 2023 4:55 PM ET

Can newly installed House Speaker Kevin McCarthy deliver on the promises and deals that he floated on his tortured journey to claiming the gavel?

Team GOP’s handshake spending plan includes two goals — to cap discretionary spending in fiscal 2024 to at 2022 levels as well as a budget blueprint that balances within 10 years.

But what works in the GOP House has to survive the Democrat-controlled Senate and President Joe Biden’s White House. And Democrats don’t believe Republicans have the resolve to cut spending.

“Do you really believe that Republicans are going to embrace a government shutdown?” House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal asked rhetorically. He teased a future in which budget battles lead to a government shutdown and then the GOP folds like a cheap lawn chair.

For her part, Maya MacGuineas, president of the bipartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, sees a path forward.

“I’m really pleased they’re raising the issue,” MacGuineas.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2023/01/13/opinion-voters-are-about-to-learn-a-hard-lesson-the-gop-is-a-paper-tiger-debra-saunders/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

“Do you really believe that Republicans are going to embrace a government shutdown?” House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal asked rhetorically. He teased a future in which budget battles lead to a government shutdown and then the GOP folds like a cheap lawn chair.

Democrats have never had a problem embracing a government shutdown when they don't get everything they want (and then blaming Republicans for it).  Republicans should do the same.   Give them their debt ceiling raise in exchange for slashing spending over the next eight months.  And if Dems vote it down, then they are the ones shutting the government down.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Democrats have never had a problem embracing a government shutdown when they don't get everything they want (and then blaming Republicans for it).  Republicans should do the same.   Give them their debt ceiling raise in exchange for slashing spending over the next eight months.  And if Dems vote it down, then they are the ones shutting the government down.
Yep. Control the stage, and the optics can only be twisted so much.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Who is Deb Sanders?  And why should I care what she says?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

Who is Deb Sanders?  And why should I care what she says?
Saunders. Another conservative columnist. I guess. I used to read her columns, but haven't read one for years.
It seems she's still writing columns. I have no idea in hell whether she's right or wrong about this issue.
But if you don't care, it won't hurt you....... because I don't care either.