Author Topic: New Cancer Problems,and a warning to all about my "miracle cancer drug"  (Read 550 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ok,started a new thread on this one.

I suspect some of you remember reading my personal motto,"It is MUCH better to be lucky than smart!"?

Well,here is more proof of how true that is.

Thanks to maxing out on chemo,my short-term memory is just a theory these days. I know this,and write notes to myself to remember something,and then lose the notes.

Or maybe eat them,for all I know

Anyhow,for the last several months my breathing has been getting worse and worse,and has gotten to the point now where I sometimes have to ask a local friend to feed my shop cat because I just can't walk from the house to the shop and back to do it myself.

I end up gasping for breath,and feel like my heart is on fire. This is now pretty much an everyday thing because I understand how important it is to not give up. I make it to the shop and back even though it is painful. When I can no longer do this,I guess I will have to get someone to catch the shop cat and take her to the animal shelter.

One thing I THINK I know to be a fact is "Nobody got better by just sitting on their ass and hoping to get better".

Anyway,to the update.

I am supposedly still cancer-free,thanks to taking the ZANUBRUTINIB/ZANU 80 CAPSULES  that are sold by a company named "Brukinsa". I get mine from the VA Hospital, and get them for free. I went from "untreatable Stage 4 Lymphoma to "tests show no signs of cancer" after just 3 weeks of taking ONE pill TWICE a day. (PLEASE NOTE THIS EDIT!)

BTW,the recommended dosage according to the manufacturer is 2 pills twice a day,but my cancer doc said ONE pill twice a day,so that is what I have been doing.

Unfortunately,"all good things come to an end".

I got suspicious that something was causing me problems a few months ago,but thanks to Chemo Brain,kept forgetting to tell my cancer doc or anyone else about it. I would remember it while sitting at home typing on my computer,make a note to remind myself,and then forget to save the note.

Plus,I haven't actually seen a cancer doc in maybe a year now. I am to the point where I go to the clinice once every month or so,and they do tests to see in the cancer has returned.

It hasn't.

I am GUESSING that because I am in remission the clinic sees no reason to waste the time of a cancer doc to see me,so I end up dealing with a tech/nurse/nurses aide.

Something else popped up,though. My hands got so swollen I can't see my knuckles anymore and even have trouble making a fist.

Also, my infected leg got swollen and VERY painful again. To the point where it is very hard for me to walk because just having the leg bandage brush against my overalls  (the only "pants" I can wear now because the leg is so big) causes a LOT of pain.

Been MEANING to discuss all this with the tech/nurse/whatever for a couple of months,but keep forgetting.

Went again yesterday for my regullary scheduled tests,and by now my hands are so swollen I couldn't forget to mention them because "there they were,right in front of me",so I did,and the tech/nurse/whatever took one glance and literally took off walking away VERY fast and telling me over her shoulder,"I will be right back with a doctor!"

BELOW IS THE IMPORTANT PART/WARNING!

The doc asked me if I was still taking the Brukinsa,and I said "Sure! I plan on keeping on taking it as long as I get it for free from the Veterans Administration pharmacy".

That's when she told me to "Stop taking it RIGHT NOW!"

Evidentially the swelling of the extremities is a sign of something bad. I am sure she told me,but I have already forgotten that details.

She said the swelling was a sign that I needed to stop taking it,and to go without taking it for one week,and to then call her and tell her if the swelling was going down,and to ask for an immediate appointment if it didn't start going down.

Evidentially the fluids in my chest are putting pressure on my internal organs,and that is what has been putting pressure on my heart and lungs,and this CAN be a VERY big deal if I don't stop taking the Brukinsa and/or the internal swelling doesn't diminish.

"Chemo brain"!

MOST people would have picked up on this right away and asked questions about what is causing it and not ended up having these problems.

Right now I am hoping that the swelling goes down faster than it built up as I sit here trying to catch my breath from the exhaustion that typing can cause you.

BTW,this is NOT a warning about Brukinsa as much as it is a warning about when to stop taking Brukinsa. After all,I was terminal and supposed to have died over a year ago before I started taking it,and the cancer went away.

What this is,is a warning to those of you who might be taking it to pay attention to the signs in is starting to cause you problems due to fluid build-ups in your body.

I am hoping these problems will start to go away now that I have stopped taking it. The nurse and the doctor both seemed to be fairly confident that it would,but want me to call them to make sure. It may not be the big deal I seem to be making it,but since they are taking it seriously,I should also take it seriously.

I have no idea what they will want to do or do if it doesn't. I will worry about that if and when it happens.

I don't mind admitting I am hoping it starts working quickly because I am getting tired of being tired,and gasping for breath after walking from the house to the car.

Due to my memory sucking so badly,I hope one of you pings me back to this thread in a week or so in order that I can update any of you starting to go through the same or similar things.

Who knows,if enough fluid goes away to relieve the pressure on my heart and lungs,I MIGHT  be able to remember this myself?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:11:28 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

Re: New Cancer Problems,and a warning to all about my "miracle cancer drug"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 12:27:47 pm »
@sneakypete

SH*T. More fun.  **nononono*

Well, at least it sounds like they think it is self-correcting... And I would imagine that if you start pissing like a racehorse, that'd be the main indicator that things are heading in the right direction.  :shrug:

Is it your understanding that coming off the drug is going to put you back under threat from the lymphoma?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 08:15:08 pm »
@sneakypete

SH*T. More fun.  **nononono*

Well, at least it sounds like they think it is self-correcting... And I would imagine that if you start pissing like a racehorse, that'd be the main indicator that things are heading in the right direction.  :shrug:

Is it your understanding that coming off the drug is going to put you back under threat from the lymphoma?

@roamer_1

I truly don't know what to expect. One minute I think that because I have been cancer-free for so long that I will remain cancer free,and the next minute I am asking myself "If that is true,why did the cancer tell me to keep taking it?"

Not that it matters because I now have no choice but to quit taking it.

What will be,will be.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 08:24:39 pm »
poison is the cure
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 08:28:18 pm »
poison is the cure

@DefiantMassRINO

Try it and let me know how it worked out for you.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 08:30:30 pm »
Can they give you some Lasix to help bring the fluids down more quickly?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 08:50:54 pm »
I truly don't know what to expect. One minute I think that because I have been cancer-free for so long that I will remain cancer free,and the next minute I am asking myself "If that is true,why did the cancer tell me to keep taking it?"

What will be,will be.

@sneakypete

Welp, Sneaks... another damn trip through the knothole, I guess... At some point you're just operating on meanness... I been there before... though not the same path as you.

Sure would be nice to sit on the porch without the worry for a change. I truly hope that is the case, shortly.

But I'll be praying for ya - just to piss you off.  happy77 :beer:

Offline berdie

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 09:20:13 pm »
@roamer_1

What will be,will be.

Hang in there, @sneakypete . Like I've said before, you are a tough hombre. :laugh:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 09:35:51 pm »
Can they give you some Lasix to help bring the fluids down more quickly?

@Polly Ticks

I don't know. I guess I will find out next week if the swelling hasn't gone down by then.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 09:37:13 pm »
@sneakypete

Welp, Sneaks... another damn trip through the knothole, I guess... At some point you're just operating on meanness... I been there before... though not the same path as you.

Sure would be nice to sit on the porch without the worry for a change. I truly hope that is the case, shortly.

But I'll be praying for ya - just to piss you off.  happy77 :beer:

@roamer_1

Thanks!

I think.