Author Topic: Column: 2023 energy predictions? When Canada offers LNG-starved Germany a crayon drawing of green hy  (Read 149 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
BOE Report

Column: 2023 energy predictions? When Canada offers LNG-starved Germany a crayon drawing of green hydrogen plans instead, don’t bother predicting anything
January 10, 20236:45 AM Terry Etam4 Comments

Happy New Year all, though 2023 is well underway. Type A’s have buttoned down 2023’s goals and are doubtlessly already pursuing them with a vengeance. (Us) Type B’s are now wandering aimlessly around gyms, rationalizing abandoned resolutions, and annoying the regulars by dozing off on the equipment.

In the energy world, resolutions take a back seat to predictions. Everyone makes them, which is fine – it’s always good to hear others’ thoughts, but the pseudo-precision and forcefulness can get kind of demented. A quick Google search of “2023 energy predictions” yields – Forbes (the business crowd is always bold): “8 Consequential Energy predictions for 2023.”

Wood Mackenzie (global consulting firms put food on table/Ferraris in garage by projecting an aura of well-groomed omniscience): “Ten Predictions for 2023.” The Motley Fool (investing website): “3 Bold Oil Market Predictions for 2023.” Gizmodo (pop-culture site with motto ‘Tech.Science.Culture’ and therefore sure to be pop-culture-deep energy thinkers): “The Year Ahead in Energy – In 2023 we will see the first real movement in a global energy transition.” Tell us all about it, culture writer. And sidestep entirely the fact that oil, gas and coal are all at record consumption levels.

The clickbait headlines didn’t draw me in except ironically Gizmodo’s – their predictable high-intensity/low-knowledge attack on hydrocarbons is of more interest than most because it aligns with western political thinking. Clueless they may be, but we need to pay attention to these bollards. You may be in an auditorium with a hundred towering intellects, but you’ll devote your entire attention to one single idiot if he has a bomb strapped to his head.

The hydrocarbon haters ironically provide the most clues to the future because they write what legislators enact – a terrifying thought, but true (more on that in a second).

Column: 2023 energy predictions? When Canada offers LNG-starved Germany a crayon drawing of green hydrogen plans instead, don’t bother predicting anything

https://boereport.com/2023/01/10/column-2023-energy-predictions-when-canada-offers-lng-starved-germany-a-crayon-drawing-of-green-hydrogen-plans-instead-dont-bother-predicting-anything/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson