Author Topic: GOP divisions over Social Security, Medicare cuts forecast tough fights ahead  (Read 5950 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Nope.  Not in my book.  I'm just saying that is going to be the issue raised.  Especially likely for those who are fortunate enough to hang on into their late 80's-90's and may exhaust what they thought were adequate savings.  So does the government act as a backstop if those folks run out of money, or not?

IMHO, the answer is No! That has historically been a province of the family and Church.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

The bolded is true, but my parry was purely a matter of textual reality -- not textual or any real interpretation at all. 

@Maj. Bill Martin

True enough. My statement centered on the interpretation thereof: Using the literal meaning of the words as you presented them (in defense of Social Security (and welfare)) as a direct assault upon the establishment of enumerated powers, which is the purpose of the document.

It is a particular peeve of mine, similarly found in Biblical verse-slingers... wherein the context is often lost upon the partial knowledge contained in the verse. I am a literalist when it comes to text, by the way, strictly so... But the course of that requires the whole text, to include context and intent.

All I did was point out the inarguable textual fact that Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 -- which is the actual grant of Congressional power -- does indeed use the word "provide" and not just "promote".  I was just making a point about the literal text itself for the sake of accuracy.  Or are you saying that I misquoted Article I, Section 8?

No... my only argument is the use there of - the literal use of the phrase cannot upend the enumerated powers as expressed... Or the document means nothing.

The second, unbolded part of your statement -  "in your [my] general defense of national social security" is something I never said, or even fairly implied.  I never defended that, and what's kind of frustrating about that is that should have been completely clear if you read my posts. 

Then you should have no argument with me at all, or @Hoodat either for that matter.

This is a direct quote from my post that was just two up from the one you quoted.  I don't see how anyone could have read this and thought I was defending the Constitutionality of federal social welfare programs:

Not really sure how I could have been more clear.

The first thought in bold (fully quoted here)

But then what does "general welfare" exclude?  Because I think if I follow your reasoning, the only proper answer to that is literally "nothing".  I honestly can't conceive of any government program or policy that the government itself wouldn't/couldn't be justified as providing for the "general welfare".  Can you? 

... seems to be a defense of the liberal use of 'general welfare'... Admittedly the second bolded thought seemed a follow-through to the idea that even if the Constitution, the SCOTUS deemed otherwise... wrongly (politically) or not.

On a second read perhaps you've been playing devil's advocate a bit - But that still does not explain the obfuscation of the idea in your use of 'defending the elderly', which has never been the argument at all - The argument has always been whether it is within the purview of the federal government to provide those systems (social security and welfare) - An argument in which I stand vehemently against. The retirement and care of the elderly, the widow, and the cripple has never been in question - The question is who should (and should not) provide that care. And the federal government certainly should not. It is not within their authority.

A long time ago, I remember discussing the various New Deal cases in Constitutional Law, and had a professor who was an unabashed liberal, as was most of the class. So after most of the class spoke up the in support of the Court upholding the Social Security Act, I piped up and said "that interpretation of the "general welfare" provision could be used to justify basically anything, without limits, because what government action can't be claimed to be for the "general welfare?  They should have struck it down."  To the professor's credit, he said "Oh, you're absolutely right.  I like the result of the case, and was glad they decided it how they did, but if they were really following the Constitution, they should have struck it down."

Not many honest liberals left, unfortunately.

My argument precisely  :beer: If 'general welfare' means 'anything', then the document means nothing.

Offline roamer_1

IMHO, the answer is No! That has historically been a province of the family and Church.

CORRECT... Albeit that the states have historically participated, both in state run medical institutions and in bolstering the same at the county level (clinics and such). And I believe they have authority in that regard - that which is not enumerated in the constitution left to the states, and to the People... If the state constitution allows, or the people have granted, the states are not limited as the federal government is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:44:32 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Hoodat

Again, looking at the math of it, all that is needed to guarantee a retirement salary equivalent to working salary is a rate of return of 4.4%.  In other words, if government had taken those social security taxes and invested them in anything other than themselves (i.e. stock market, real estate, etc.), then every retiree would have enough money in that retirement account to live off of the interest at their base income rate over their working life, and when they die, hand off a sizeable inheritance to their descendants.

But our government didn't do that.  Our government essentially embezzled that money and spent it on their own excesses.  Constitutionally allowable or not, the people in our government who continue to push this embezzlement should be put on trial, convicted, and sentenced to decades in prison.  There is nothing our government does that perpetrates more poverty in this country than Social Security.  It is the most evil crime ever perpetrated upon the American people.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/u-s-federal-budget-breakdown-3305789

President Biden’s budget for FY 2022 totals $6.011 trillion, eclipsing all other previous budgets.
Mandatory expenditures, such as Social Security, Medicare, and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, account for about 65% of the budget.
Budget expenditures are estimated to exceed federal revenues by $1.873 trillion for FY 2022.
Most of these revenues come from taxes and earnings from quantitative easing.

In this budget that ran a deficit of 1.873 Trillion dollars interest on the debt was only about 300 Billion. The interest on the debt is about to explode for a bunch of reasons, but if we project a 4% interest rate on 30 Trillion dollars the deficit would have been 2.773 Trillion dollars.

IOW, we will won't be able to pay the interest on our debt and fund mandatory and discretionary spending at current levels much longer. The discretionary portion of the budget was around 1.8 Trillion. Interest on the debt was around 300 Billion and Mandatory spending was about 4 Trillion. If we eliminate all discretionary spending we still come up short and the interest payments are going to explode.

Everything is going to need to be cut, some more than others but everything will have to be cut.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Again, looking at the math of it, all that is needed to guarantee a retirement salary equivalent to working salary is a rate of return of 4.4%.  In other words, if government had taken those social security taxes and invested them in anything other than themselves (i.e. stock market, real estate, etc.), then every retiree would have enough money in that retirement account to live off of the interest at their base income rate over their working life, and when they die, hand off a sizeable inheritance to their descendants.

But our government didn't do that.  Our government essentially embezzled that money and spent it on their own excesses.  Constitutionally allowable or not, the people in our government who continue to push this embezzlement should be put on trial, convicted, and sentenced to decades in prison.  There is nothing our government does that perpetrates more poverty in this country than Social Security.  It is the most evil crime ever perpetrated upon the American people.

I agree with your point about investing the money, but I don't want govt to be in that role. In short order the govt would be the largest shareholder of all the largest corporations in the country. If people were required to establish an IRA at their local financial institution, or through their employer, the same could be accomplished.

Online Hoodat

I agree with your point about investing the money, but I don't want govt to be in that role.

Agree 100%.  The point is that government cannot be trusted.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Not ever and we should know this!

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence. It is force, and like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

George Washington
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

The power to tax is the power to destroy.

-Justice John Marshall-

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

:amen:

They keep proving that over and over!

The problem we are going to have financially is I doubt the American people will ever ignore the lying politicians who say, "just make the rich pay their fair share". I don't believe getting to a sound fiscal position is going to be possible until then.