Author Topic: Don't Underestimate Clarence Thomas  (Read 380 times)

Offline Kamaji

Don't Underestimate Clarence Thomas
« on: January 10, 2023, 03:39:55 pm »
Don't Underestimate Clarence Thomas

Justice Thomas' footprints are all over the Court's recently concluded term.

DAMON ROOT
FROM THE FEBRUARY 2023 ISSUE of Reason Magazine

When President George H.W. Bush nominated Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1991, he described the justice-to-be as "a fiercely independent thinker with an excellent legal mind." Many of Thomas' leading critics, then and now, would not even grant him that much.

For decades, liberal commentators dismissed Thomas as an intellectual lightweight who took his marching orders from the late Justice Antonin Scalia—his "apparent mentor," as New York Times legal correspondent Linda Greenhouse sneered in a 1992 article. More recently, some have argued that the right-wing activism of his wife, Ginni Thomas, should disqualify Thomas from the bench. In 2016, to mark the 25th anniversary of Thomas' appointment to the Court, New Yorker legal pundit Jeffrey Toobin derided the justice as a failed crank who would leave no "footprints" on the law. "After years at the periphery of the Court," Toobin wrote, "Thomas looks destined to serve out his term at the even more distant fringe."

Greenhouse and Toobin had no idea what they were talking about. It was actually Thomas who influenced Scalia's opinions in several areas of the law, as Scalia himself repeatedly acknowledged. And if you want to see tracks, look no further than the Supreme Court's recently concluded 2021–22 term, which has Thomas' footprints all over it. In one big case after another, from the expansion of gun rights to the elimination of the constitutional right to abortion, Thomas' long-held views either commanded or inspired the majority of the Court. His critics underestimated him at their peril.

And that is just part of the story about Thomas' impact on American law.

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/01/07/dont-underestimate-clarence-thomas/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Don't Underestimate Clarence Thomas
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 03:47:37 pm »
Another perfect example of the MSM exploiting the concept of perception is more powerful than fact.

Media's painting Thomas as a philandering mental light weight was an outright slander.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 04:05:58 pm »
Thomas has turned out to be an exemplary jurist, and his opinions are well worth reading.
I'd rather he was Chief Justice than Roberts.

Probably the one good thing 'Daddy' Bush did.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 04:27:00 pm »
 ////00000////

For those that forget that hot summer of 1991 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shkJfRpktGc
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 04:37:51 pm »
The media is like the town prostitute calling every other woman a ho. You simply don't take them seriously. Problem is too many people still do.
The Republic is lost.