Author Topic: Common Sense: A Scathing Attack on Unlimited, Centralized Power  (Read 138 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Common Sense: A Scathing Attack on Unlimited, Centralized Power
By: Michael Boldin|Published on: Jan 10, 2023|Categories: American Revolution, Founding Principles, Thomas Paine

January 10, 1776. Today in history, Thomas Paine published the first edition of Common Sense – a 47 page pamphlet that defended and inspired the cause of independence like no other. (check out this podcast on Common Sense here) Leading historians have called it one of the “most brilliant ever written in the English language.”

His first sentence perfectly describes the source of many of the problems we face today:

Some writers have so confounded society with government, as to leave little or no distinction between them; whereas they are not only different, but have different origins.

Think about that.

Every issue, every problem, pretty much everything in existence – rather than leave it to “society” to solve – rather than leave it to the market to handle – millions and millions of people believe that the only solution is to run to government.

The fact that government actually caused most of these problems we face today in the first place – this kind of mentality just keeps making things worse.

https://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2023/01/10/common-sense-a-scathing-attack-on-unlimited-centralized-power/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson