Author Topic: McCarthy ally wins three-way race to lead powerful Ways and Means Committee  (Read 244 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

McCarthy ally wins three-way race to lead powerful Ways and Means Committee
Washington Examiner, Jan 9, 2023

Rep. Jason Smith will chair the House Committee on Ways and Means after a hotly contested three-way race that pitted the Missouri Republican against Reps. Vern Buchanan (R-FL) and Adrian Smith (R-NE).

The win puts the candidate seen as Speaker Kevin McCarthy's (R-CA) pick at the helm of the powerful panel. Buchanan had the support of Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA).

[...]

I also thank my colleagues across the Conference who supported me every step of this race. I am humbled by their support and trust, and more determined than ever to make them proud," he said in a statement. “No member can effectively serve without the support of our families. I can’t thank my family, especially Andrea, enough for their support and sacrifice — not just throughout this campaign, but every single day. Leaving a better America for future generations is why I do this work."

The panel is expected to play a key role in carrying out several of the House GOP’s leading priorities, ranging from investigations to legislative goals.

Jason Smith said he would spend his chairmanship holding the Biden administration accountable

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/jason-smith-wins-race-ways-means-committee

Offline Right_in_Virginia

These Republicans were selected to chair House committees after Speaker battle delay
The Hill, 01/09/23 5:21 PM ET

After a historic and prolonged battle over the Speakership, House Republicans on Monday moved to wrap up some unfinished organizing business that was put on hold due to opposition to Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) — including picking who will lead key panels.

The House GOP Steering Committee, a panel of around 30 lawmakers consisting of leadership and elected regional representatives that makes selections for most chairmanships and committee assignments, made its choices for chairs of panels that were uncontested in December.

[...]

McCarthy gets outsize influence over the Steering panel with four votes, while Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) gets two and all other members get one.

Over the weekend, McCarthy also selected Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.), who voted against McCarthy on most of the 15 Speaker ballots last week, to fill the “Speaker Designee” slot on the Steering Committee.

Here’s who the Steering Committee picked for contested chairmanships:

Education and the Workforce: Rep. Virginia Foxx (N.C.)
Ways and Means: Rep. Jason Smith (Mo.)
Homeland Security: Rep. Mark Green (Tenn.)

More:. https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3805335-these-republicans-were-selected-to-chair-house-committees-after-speaker-battle-delay/

Offline Hoodat

Who are the five Democrats he plans on cutting?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-