Author Topic: The New McCarthyism By Roger Kimball  (Read 441 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The New McCarthyism By Roger Kimball
« on: January 08, 2023, 03:34:06 pm »
The New McCarthyism
Expect the changes to the people’s business-as-usual to be mostly cosmetic under Kevin McCarthy’s reign as speaker of the House.
By Roger Kimball
January 7, 2023

“If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” That seems to be Kevin McCarthy’s favorite mantra. Friday night, on the 15th vote for speaker of the House, he finally got his moist little palm around Nancy Pelosi’s still-warm gavel. Welcome to the new Republican-ish speaker of the House! 

The contest was brutal, occasionally absurd, and the occasion of hilarity and consternation among the punditocracy on both the Right and the Left. The Left clucked their tongues about the “chaos” on view on the other side of the aisle. Some among the GOP agreed and wondered why “their side” could not govern as effectively as the Democrats. Would Nancy Pelosi have put up with this level of dissension among the Democratic rank and file? Others said, no, no, the 20 freedom caucus members (and others) holding up the inevitable were just giving the world a reality show, live-action look at how “democracy” (if not quite Our Democracy™) works and should work. 

I am of two minds about that. My own take is that McCarthy is an unreliable ally for those on the Right. He was only too happy to shovel billions of your and your children’s money to Ukraine while doing little to secure our southern border. McCarthy is from California, so, naturally, he likes to spend money. He even got behind such improvident and mendacious schemes as raiding Medicare to pay for the U.S. Postal Service. He was happy to fund the January 6 kangaroo court, grant amnesty to illegal immigrants, and support mandates for the useless—indeed, dangerous—COVID vaccine for the military. In plain terms, his voting record is only intermittently conservative.  

Kevin McCarthy, in short, is a swamp creature masquerading as a swamp critic. The Swamp loves its own, and so it was no surprise that McCarthy eventually prevailed, just barely. He did so at considerable cost to the power of the speaker’s office but also considerable benefit to people who care about accountability. 

more
https://amgreatness.com/2023/01/07/the-new-mccarthyism/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The New McCarthyism By Roger Kimball
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 04:20:56 pm »
He was elected in Ca.

That was really all I needed to know about him.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 09:07:47 pm »
He was elected in Ca.

That was really all I needed to know about him.
Yeah he sucks, as do Pelosi, Shitty, Feinswine, Mad Max, etc. But California doesn't have the lock on electing crappy congress and senate critters, it takes a lot more than one state's corruption to F'k up a nation. As I recall a whole lot of crap was slung from the East Coast(still is) before everyone was blaming California. I'm not disagreeing with you, just sayin....

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 09:39:06 pm »
Yeah he sucks, as do Pelosi, Shitty, Feinswine, Mad Max, etc. But California doesn't have the lock on electing crappy congress and senate critters, it takes a lot more than one state's corruption to F'k up a nation. As I recall a whole lot of crap was slung from the East Coast(still is) before everyone was blaming California. I'm not disagreeing with you, just sayin....

Even Texas is not immune!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 09:55:33 pm »

@GtHawk

I would have written "I will never vote for a politician that was a prominent pol in a northeastern state" if it had been one of them voted in as the new Speaker of the House,but the East Coast doesn't apply this time. California does.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 10:21:12 pm »
@GtHawk

I would have written "I will never vote for a politician that was a prominent pol in a northeastern state" if it had been one of them voted in as the new Speaker of the House,but the East Coast doesn't apply this time. California does.
I wasn't trying to disagree with you Pete, I don't, It's just that California is always hammered as if every single person here is a slimy democrat, and as a conservative(not republican) resident of California I just get a little weary of it. No, I can't just move, I am the only one who cares for my 91 year old mom, and my wife will never move away from our kids and grandkids. I haven't invested 47 years in my marriage just to say F'k it so I can move out of California.

Take care Pete.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 10:48:14 pm »
"The New McCarthyism" ????

I preferred the "old" [Joe] McCarthy.
He was right in his time.
And STILL right, today.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 10:51:47 pm »
"The New McCarthyism" ????

I preferred the "old" [Joe] McCarthy.
He was right in his time.
And STILL right, today.

@Fishrrman

Ain't DAT DE TROOTH!