Author Topic: McCarthy — First priority is cancelling funding for 87,000 IRS agents…  (Read 901 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNBC by Ashley Capoot 1/7/2023

U.S. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy pledges to tackle immigration, ‘woke’ education policies and IRS funding

Key Points

•   The U.S. House of Representatives elected Kevin McCarthy of California as speaker in the 15th round of votes early Saturday.

•   McCarthy made extraordinary concessions to win over a small bloc of far-right holdouts who blocked his speaker bid.

•   McCarthy said the tense showdown on the House floor this week was proof that he is not someone who gives up easily.

Newly elected U.S. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy took the gavel of the chamber after a bruising weeklong battle within his own party, promising to carry out a conservative, America-first agenda, tackling the immigration crisis at the Mexican border, cutting back funding at the IRS and fixing “woke indoctrination in our schools.”

After 14 failed votes since Tuesday, the California Republican was able to overcome opposition after making extraordinary concessions to a small bloc of far-right holdouts who refused to support his speaker bid.

McCarthy laid out an ambitious plan in addressing the 118th congressional session early Saturday morning, saying he wants to “be the check and provide some balance” to President Joe Biden’s policies. He said the first legislation he plans to tackle will repeal funding for more than 87,000 new IRS agents. He highlighted immigration reform as a top priority, saying the Republican-controlled House will hold some of its first hearings of the year at the Southern border.

“No more ignoring this crisis of safety and sovereignty,” he said. “We must secure our border.”

McCarthy claimed he will pass bills fixing “urgent” problems in the nation with an America-first approach. In addition to immigration, he said he wants to address “America-Last” energy policies and “woke indoctrination” in schools, noting that children come first and should be taught to “dream big.”

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/07/us-house-speaker-kevin-mccarthy-pledges-to-tackle-immigration-woke-education-policies-and-irs-funding.html

Online corbe

I really don't think that is the Rules Committee top priority and won't see the light of day (in Congress) till late summer, if at all. We know the IRS is an incredible slow bureaucracy, (there're still using computers from the 80's).  They may figure out another way to dispose of that crap legislation.  Sure, it will find problems in the Senate, but it's gotta come back to the House for a vote.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'll believe it when I see it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm pretty sure the Senate and the President have a say.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

And none of them can appropriate $$$ without the house.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And none of them can appropriate $$$ without the house.

It's already appropriated.  Turtle saw to that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Yeah, that's the problem.  Wasting effort on trying to pass a reversal of the IRS expansion when it is 100% guaranteed to die in the Senate is just pointless.  Especially when it's going to take a lot of work and time to get all those separate appropriations bills passed.

Of course, maybe you could tie the repeal of the expansion of IRS to some other legislation the Democrats want...but hey, now we have the "single subject" rule so we can't do that either.

Oh well.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Yes! For this current year.  With friends like him, who needs enemies?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yeah, that's the problem.  Wasting effort on trying to pass a reversal of the IRS expansion when it is 100% guaranteed to die in the Senate is just pointless.  Especially when it's going to take a lot of work and time to get all those separate appropriations bills passed.

Of course, maybe you could tie the repeal of the expansion of IRS to some other legislation the Democrats want...but hey, now we have the "single subject" rule so we can't do that either.

Oh well.

Just refuse to appropriate any $$$ for that purpose. MUCH easier to do with a real budget process and no more omnibus bills.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Anyone believe the DO NOTHING REPUBLICANS will reverse the addition of 87,000 IRS agents, better think again.  Congress already approved it all, and if I remember correctly, it takes 2/3rds of Congress to undo something, and the Republicans do not have that kind of majority.

THE NEXT TWO YEARS WILL BE A BIG FAT NOTHING BURGER FROM THESE CLOWNS.  THEY WILL NOT ACCOMPLISH CHANGING ONE THING.  THEY WILL INCREASE THE DEBT CEILING, PASS HUGE SPENDING BILLS, AND NOT ONE CONSERVATIVE BONE WILL BE FELT!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: McCarthy — First priority is cancelling funding for 87,000 IRS agents…
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 07:42:00 pm »
GRIDLOCK AT ITS FINEST AND WORST!!!!!

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 08:25:57 pm »

You're right. All the House can do is cut the IRS budget after Sept. If eliminating the IRS agents is just a bill, not a part of appropriations, it's nothing more than performance art.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 08:27:15 pm »
Just refuse to appropriate any $$$ for that purpose. MUCH easier to do with a real budget process and no more omnibus bills.

:yowsa:
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 04:13:56 am »
Biden utopian kubuki theater, and with plentiful support from BOTH sides.
Amnesia effect apparent on both sides.  Who'd a thought?
Christian free Satanic rule, one party!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 January 9, 2023 11:54am EST
IRS on the chopping block on first day of legislative work under Speaker McCarthy
Bill would claw back $72 billion, 90% of the $80 billion boost it received last year

By Brooke Singman | Fox News

The House of Representatives is slated to vote on a bill Monday night that would cut more than $70 billion in Internal Revenue Service funding in an effort to prevent the agency from conducting new audits on Americans — fulfilling newly elected House Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s promise ahead of taking the gavel.

The Family and Small Business Taxpayer Protection Act from Reps. Adrian Smith, R-Neb., and Michelle Steel, R-Calif., would roll back the billions of dollars of funding for the IRS that was approved in the Inflation Reduction Act last year.

Smith’s bill leaves in place funding for customer service and improvements to IT services at the IRS but rescinds several categories of unobligated funding, including money that could be used to conduct any new audits on Americans. In total, it would claw back $72 billion of the funding Congress approved for the IRS last year.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/irs-chopping-block-first-day-legislative-work-speaker-mccarthy
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34